Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Stock Axle search

499 Views 6 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  jeeps4u2nv88
Hi everyone!

I'm in search of some answers regarding rear axles in the YJ's. I have a 88 YJ Base that I bought a while back. When I bought it the previous owner said that the owner before him replaced the rear axle with a higher ratio gear setup. I'm not sure what it is currently but I know the jeep, which is never used in 4x4, is currently making more torque then a stock jeep and first gear has no legs at all, its practically useless. I've been looking to get a stock axle out of a scrapped jeep for a little but have been hesitant to pull the trigger on one not knowing if it will work.

My first question is, what year jeeps can I look at to get a rear axle out of? Can I look at the TJ axle or are they totally different?

I would like to make it the most plug and play as possible with very little to no modification needed. Also, I know the stock jeeps came with 3.08, 3.55 and 4.11 gears in the rear, what would be my best bet to get if all I really do is drive on the streets with my Jeep?

Please feel free to post any questions, i'm on the forum site a lot lately trying to resolve my axle issue.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Attachments

Reactions: 87TPIYJ
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
19,077 Posts
If your profile is correct and you have the 2.5 you should already have 4.10 gears unless someone swapped in deeper gears at some point. Having a 2.5 TJ on 33's I can tell you it's pretty gutless. Your only options for a bolt in rear are the '87 to '95 YJ D35.

Why are you looking for another axle? The gears are too deep? There's only two steps deeper the stock 4.10's and that's 4.56's and 4.88's either are viable with 33's.

Sure you can get one from a TJ, but you'll be cutting off all the bracketry and welding on perches etc for the TJ, in which case you're 100% better off not getting a D35 at all and getting a 8.8 out of an Explorer.

You also cannot just swap the rear with a different axle / gear ratio because in the event you or someone else ever engages 4WD, bad **** will happen.

· Registered
2,744 Posts
As stated above only 87-95 YJ axles are plug and play, but seeing as you are lifted you don't want the stock axle back. Replacing just the rear axle would mean you can't use 4wd, which might not be an issue for you but if you ever try to sell it, a 2wd Jeep isn't worth much.

Can you post a picture of the rear axle in your Jeep? From that second picture it looks like it is still a D35. If you lift one rear tire off the ground and spin the tire once just count the number of times the drive shaft spins and you can get the gear ratio.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply's, based on what the previous owner told me when I bought the Jeep is that someone had swapped out the gears or the axle. I'm going to try spinning the tire in the air and see how many rotations it takes to turn the drive shaft once to determine my ratio. Is there any indications on the axle itself that would indicate the gears or type of axle I have.
After doing some research last night I found exactly what both of you mentioned, that I can just swap that rear out or I have a useless 2wd jeep. I don't want that. I'm going to dive into it more this weekend to find out what is really under it. I'll get some more detailed pictures of the axle too and post those.

Thanks!!

· Registered
7,579 Posts
Thanks for the reply's, based on what the previous owner told me when I bought the Jeep is that someone had swapped out the gears or the axle. I'm going to try spinning the tire in the air and see how many rotations it takes to turn the drive shaft once to determine my ratio. Is there any indications on the axle itself that would indicate the gears or type of axle I have.
After doing some research last night I found exactly what both of you mentioned, that I can just swap that rear out or I have a useless 2wd jeep. I don't want that. I'm going to dive into it more this weekend to find out what is really under it. I'll get some more detailed pictures of the axle too and post those.

Thanks!!
Spinning the tire / rotation works or pop the rear diff cover and read the stamped ration on the ring gear. Then you'll be 100% sure. This obvious takes a bit more time, gasket maker and diff fluid.

But... popping the cover will allow you to inspect the fluid, the gears and take pictures in case you need to sell this axle and want proof of the gearing for a buyer...

· Registered
2,744 Posts
Is there any indications on the axle itself that would indicate the gears or type of axle I have.
Thanks!!
Have you ever used 4wd in this Jeep? I would hope currently your front and rear gears match, the easiest way to check would be by driving in a straight line in 4wd. If the Jeep drives they match, if the Jeep makes bad noises and doesn't want to drive they don't match.

Stock Jeep axles have a tag on them that bolts to the diff cover that says what gears are in the axle, but if the gears have been switched this tag won't be right. As for axle identification if you post a picture of the diff cover here we can tell you what it is, it would also be worth mentioning if you have disc or drum rear brakes.There are pretty much only 4 common axles people put in the rear end of Jeeps and they all look different, D35, D44, D60 and Ford 8.8. For your Jeep I would have my money on a D35 or a Ford 8.8

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies. I was finally about to get my jeep out and check to see what axles it has under it. From what I can tell they are D35's. After a lot of himmm and haawwwing I think i'm just going to leave them alone. I think putting the money into something else is a little more worth while right now.
Thanks again for all the input. It was very helpful. Sorry I didn't get back sooner. Life happened and it kept me away for awhile.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.