Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After driving my 2011 JK Sahara for almost 2 hours today, i arrived in my driveway at home, and while trying to pull into the garage, the steering wheel locked. I cannot turn it in either direction. The Jeep turns on and off fine with the key. I can turn the key to start the ignition, however i cannot turn the wheel. I have tried some of the YouTube recommended videos of pulling the wheel to one side or the other while also turning the key, but cannot unlock it. Checked my power steering fluid reservoir, and it is about half full. Can anyone make a suggestion before i have it towed to the repair shop?

·
Registered
9 Posts
After driving my 2011 JK Sahara for almost 2 hours today, i arrived in my driveway at home, and while trying to pull into the garage, the steering wheel locked. I cannot turn it in either direction. The Jeep turns on and off fine with the key. I can turn the key to start the ignition, however i cannot turn the wheel. I have tried some of the YouTube recommended videos of pulling the wheel to one side or the other while also turning the key, but cannot unlock it. Checked my power steering fluid reservoir, and it is about half full. Can anyone make a suggestion before i have it towed to the repair shop?
From what I understand, the steering wheel will not turn at all, that it hits a "hard lock" condition verses difficult turning. If this is the case then the power steering system itself will not have anything to do with it. No need to look under the hood.
The problem will be with the key interlock system. I have never disassembled a jeep steering system yet so I can't help you too much but show you where to concentrate your efforts. Good luck.
Glenn

1 - 2 of 2 Posts