Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Steering Components - Replacement Question

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Cody1 
#1 ·
I was inspecting my steering components today and it looked like this should be replaced?

If this is the case, should I take the opportunity to replace any other steering components? I have not replaced any anything other than ball joints since I've owned it (replaced those when I did an axel swap last year).

Thanks for any help

See less See more
#2 ·
yeah that does look like it's time to go.... but if your going to have it all apart you might as well replace all four.... how do the other ones look?

#6 ·
x2 on the replace all four. Personally, I'm not a big supporter of putting stock parts back on, but that's just me.

I'd also take a close look at the ball joints, that top one on the driver's side looks like it might need help too. If you're gonna pull everything apart...

LOL! Of course, that same logic is why I have 3 vehicles tore apart in my yard now.

#7 ·
the again, if your not going to do alot of wheeling, then the stock will work just fine, or when you go the the parts store just order the driverside lower tie rod end for a 1998 Grand cherokee with a V8, that will be a step up fro m what ya got

#9 ·
Rusty's offroad has a kit that replaces the lower tierod and two of the tie rod ends you should check it out...
Then you will still need to buy two rod ends from your local parts store...

Here's the link:
Rustys Offroad: Tie Rod - HD Replacement (XJ,TJ, ZJ)

that would beef up your tie rods a bit...

back to your first question... no you do not need to replace your adjustable sleeve.
that is how the shop will do the alighnment. if you replace all four rod ends then you need to have an alighnment done, so it will drive strait and won't ware out your tires!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.