Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

State by State Vehicle Equipment Laws

101892 Views 120 Replies 65 Participants Last post by  XAQ1
The Project...

What we are doing with this thread:
Giving you the leg up to be an informed Jeep owner. Showing you where to find the laws that affect you as you build and enjoy your Jeep.

Why not just save me the bother and tell me what's legal or not? Other sites have already done this.
There are a lot of sites that attempt to "sum it all up for you" These often are a the least lacking in vital info and context and at worst, they are often just plain wrong, either because they are outdated, misread or not taking in account all the factors. Reading just these would be trusting as fact an interpretation of the laws by a layman you don't know. Bottom line they are not particularly good to trust. And you certainly cant quote them in court and expect them to save you a costly ticket you got for being wrong!
Even if we wanted to do it right, done correctly it would be more work than could every be managed. Read for yourself and you will always know where to look for the next thing.

What you can do to help:
To help yourself...
Everyone should scan their state laws, a lot of sites also have a way to find out what has been changed that year. Also take the time to find out your Jeep's measurements. (frame height, headlight height, whatever your state uses as a gauge) If you have something on your jeep that is really close to breaking a law or just looks bad but is legal, I suggest printing off the code that refers to it (and shows that it is still legal) and carry it with your important papers in the Jeep. You may be able to nicely get out of a issue with a cop that does not know and save yourself the trip to explain it to a judge.

To help the List...
If your state is not listed or if a link changes and we don't notice, let me know by posting in this thread or sending me a PM. If your state is up already you can help out with one we have not found already or read your state really good and help us with the codes we are using, see post #3

Notes about the list:
-This has been a collaborative effort and I really want to thank everyone that has and is helping out.
-All useable info is compiled in the first 4 posts, all information posted in relies will be integrated where it is useful and updated when necessary. If you post something for me and I forget to add it after a few weeks, PM me, somethings get lost in the shuffle.
-Letter codes are explained in Post #3
-FAQ about Laws and this list are in Post #4
101 - 120 of 121 Posts

· Registered
1,718 Posts

· Registered
25,359 Posts
Not sure if its been posted before, but heres a link to Maryland vehicle laws.

http://michie.lexisnexis.com/maryland/lpext.dll?f=templates&fn=main-h.htm&cp=

On the left side, click the Maryland Code folder, then Transportation, then TITLE 22. Vehicle Laws--Equipment of vehicles

based on what I read there, us Marylanders are supposed to have at least the drivers sideview mirror. :thumbsup:
I didn't see anything on there about the tires having to be completely covered by fenders/flares. Sweet

· Registered
23 Posts
Looks like it's been a while since people have actually contributed anything useful. Here is a link to wyoming equipment code.

http://legisweb.state.wy.us/statutes/statutes.aspx?file=titles/Title31/T31CH5AR9.htm

This is a link to just their statutes site.

http://legisweb.state.wy.us/statutes/statutes.aspx

It's Title 31, Chapter 5, Article 9

Not a whole lot by way of restrictions.

And here is South Dakota.

http://legis.state.sd.us/statutes/DisplayStatute.aspx?Type=Statute&Statute=32

Chapters 15, 17, 19 and 21 seem applicable.

· Registered
4 Posts
For those of you in Maryland you need to reference COMAR Title 11, subtitles 13 and 14. These are the regulations that are enforced on an Equipment repair order. Not all equipment laws are covered under the Transportation Article Title 22.

Quick guidance, if you have to modify your suspension in order to fit larger tire/wheel combinations, it is considered illegal. Otherwise you have to reference the vehicle height regulations in COMAR and the Transportation Article.

As for mirrors, you are by law required to have an inside rearview mirror, and at minimum, a driver's side rearview mirror.

· Registered
495 Posts

· Registered
384 Posts

· Registered
281 Posts
Im not even gonna read this thread cause i know where it's going, so just let me say, every state has laws that are on the books that you could not emagine unless you do the research. These laws can sometimes only appear and slap you in the face if you think you got it right. Some of these laws on the books dont even get enforced, but there there. And if you get caught doing wrong dont use the excuse that my frien did it this way and they didnt mess with him:) ya know? 2 years my friend got a $175.00 ticket for a liecence plate frame that had a neon light around it, I kept telling him about it but he didnt listen, now on the other hand there are many driving around here with the same kind of plate frame, go figure. Im sure that what your asking you dont need to ask on here, you need to talk to a trooper. Good luck.

· Registered
384 Posts
musicpuppy said:
Im not even gonna read this thread cause i know where it's going, so just let me say, every state has laws that are on the books that you could not emagine unless you do the research. These laws can sometimes only appear and slap you in the face if you think you got it right. Some of these laws on the books dont even get enforced, but there there. And if you get caught doing wrong dont use the excuse that my frien did it this way and they didnt mess with him:) ya know? 2 years my friend got a $175.00 ticket for a liecence plate frame that had a neon light around it, I kept telling him about it but he didnt listen, now on the other hand there are many driving around here with the same kind of plate frame, go figure. Im sure that what your asking you dont need to ask on here, you need to talk to a trooper. Good luck.
Dude, links to each state are on page one.

· Registered
3 Posts
Buddy just got pulled over here in Nebraska for not having mud flaps. We didn't even know that was enforced here... We knew it was technically illegal but nobody ever got pulled over for it. If you come to Nebraska, stay away from state patrol and if you don't, at least be really nice to them. Because they can and will ruin your day

101 - 120 of 121 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.