Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did several searches and didn't see exactly what I'm looking for. Today, I noticed a rasping squeaky sound in my drive train. I put the rear end on jack stands and immediately isolated the sound to the rear drive shaft (I have a tom woods double cardin with SYE). I got some wd-40 and sprayed it around the ball and it went away. Later on it came back and I sprayed it again, this time more liberally. I called Tom Woods and they didn't have any answers except to send it back. Does the ball need to be lubed from time to time?

·
Registered
586 Posts
How long as the shaft been in the Jeep? The center ball may need replacing. But more likely a U-Joint probably needs to be replaced. Is there any play in it? Have you been greasing the joints regularly?

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I started getting a squeaking noise today and sounds like its coming from the rear driveshaft. Does yours start to squeak on early acceleration(0-about 20(?)mph) or what/when/all the time?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It stopped after I lubed it. Raise your rear end and put it on jack stands. Start the jeep and put it in gear, make sure you're in two wheel drive! Make sure the jeep is not going to fall of the stands and then get below and see if you can isolate where your squeak is coming from. Could be u joints or if it's like mine, a dry ball joint.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I started getting a squeaking noise today and sounds like its coming from the rear driveshaft. Does yours start to squeak on early acceleration(0-about 20(?)mph) or what/when/all the time?
Yes, it's most noticeable at low speed and when you accelerate.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have the same problem with my rear double cardigan shaft. The centering ball is squeaking. I called Tom Woods and the tech talked me through greasing each point. When I let him know I had done all that he looked up my file. He saw my shaft was within the 180 day warranty he agreed to ship me out two new u-joints and a centering ball kit. I haven't received the kit yet so will see when I get it. Their customer service is excellent!! So Far.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I get that same squeaking at low speeds on my stock DS how can you grease theme they have no grease fittings (zerk fitting)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Get underneath and coat down the u joint and ball with lube. If the squeak goes away you know that it needs to be greased and the u joints may not need to be replaced. You can put your rear end on jack stands and carefully accelerate. This will help you isolate the squeak. If the ball and or u joints are in fact needing lube, there are some microscopic zerk holes on the ball, at least my ball that is. I took a needle attachment on a grease gun and filled the ball up with lube. Issue resolved. Do a search for ball joint lube, etc and there are some pic's out there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts