Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
1980 CJ7 Iron Duke w/ SR4
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my Father's 1980 CJ7 that he bought new. My question is my Temp and Gas gauge are opposite of all the pictures I have seen. Is normal or is something really off? As far as I know that is the original Speedo and gauges.
Speedometer Vehicle Gauge Tachometer Motor vehicle

· Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I need to clarify, my Temp and Gas read backward from all the pictures I have seen. My cold is where hot is on all the others and my empty is where full where full is.

· Premium Member
1984 Jeep CJ-7 Renegade
10,445 Posts
What you have is pre-1975 fuel and temp gauges from a CJ-5 in a later model, 1976-86, speedometer head. I have that same fuel gauge that Leon Rosser Jeep sent me by mistake in the late 80's for a spare. They sent me the correct one and told me to keep the first one as it was not worth the shipping cost back in the day when prices for NOS OEM parts were relatively cheap.

Some photo examples of early CJ-5 speedometers:
Speedometer Vehicle Motor vehicle Gauge Tachometer
Motor vehicle Gauge Speedometer Measuring instrument Steering wheel
Speedometer Motor vehicle Vehicle Gauge Automotive design

And the 1976-1986 Jeep CJ speedometer:
Gauge Speedometer Measuring instrument Watch Clock

· Registered
293 Posts
here's mine:

earlier (possibly original) temp/fuel gauges in a later head (not original). neither of the gauges next to the speedo unit are original.

· Registered
5,058 Posts
What you have is pre-1975 fuel and temp gauges from a CJ-5 in a later model, 1976-86, speedometer head. I have that same fuel gauge that Leon Rosser Jeep sent me by mistake in the late 80's for a spare. They sent me the correct one and told me to keep the first one as it was not worth the shipping cost back in the day when prices for NOS OEM parts were relatively cheap.

Some photo examples of early CJ-5 speedometers:
View attachment 4167485 View attachment 4167486 View attachment 4167487

And the 1976-1986 Jeep CJ speedometer:
View attachment 4167488
That’s what was thinking

· Premium Member
1984 Jeep CJ-7 Renegade
10,445 Posts
Found the one Leon Rosser Jeep sent me. I think I need to put this baby up for sale on eBay one of these days.
Packing materials Shipping box Rectangle Wood Gas

Clock Alarm clock Shipping box Eyewear Gas

· Registered
5,058 Posts
Deleted my post . Meant to post in what did you do to your cj today

· Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Found the one Leon Rosser Jeep sent me. I think I need to put this baby up for sale on eBay one of these days.
I have some testing to do, but I may actually need one of those. I got the Temp gauge working today, so I know that the bi- metal connector is working and the gauge has power. I'm not looking forward to dropping the tank to check the ground and sending unit.

· Registered
1985 Jeep CJ7
3,150 Posts
I have some testing to do, but I may actually need one of those. I got the Temp gauge working today, so I know that the bi- metal connector is working and the gauge has power. I'm not looking forward to dropping the tank to check the ground and sending unit.
If you drop tank, make sure there is very little gas in it. It will be easier to handle and drop super easy. Actually it’s not a hard job at all.

· Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I actually have one of those in my garage. I bought it to work on my 1998 Suzuki Marauder. I might have thought to use it like that, but I'm glad you posted that because now I know exactly how I'm doing it. Thanks!

· Premium Member
9,712 Posts
If you have power then the CVR is working inside the fuel gauge, which is great. Next step is to check if the gauge moves, which you can check by momentarily grounding the S terminal.

· Registered
1,742 Posts
And don't assume your sending unit is bad, unless the resistance coil comes out in pieces.

If still intact give it a good cleaning, to get contact again on the resistance coil, your probably way ahead over buying a replacement.

Quality is just not there like the original OEM.

Bend the 3 metal tabs back carefully, and open it up.

If you have no OHM reading (lower means more gas in tank/higher means less gas in tank), then use a good cleaner and soft brush to clean the residue off the resistance coil inside.

Verify an OHM reading with + & - test leads on sender gauge/ground connections.

All good, put it back together, and install back in the tank with new gasket & hoses.

Pic of mine out of '84 Grand Wagoneer - for reference only

Gas Wood Font Machine Metal

Reactions: agear

· Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So update. I grounded the S terminal and fuel gauge sweeps. I guess next step is to drop the tank, check ground and the sending unit. Thanks for everyone's help.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts