Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Tuesday I’m picking up a 2004 TJ which has 31” tires and a 3” lift on it. There is a 31” spare but it isn’t mounted on the rear. The current owner has the stock tire on the back (presumably because the 31” won’t fit). Is there an adapter for a larger tire or would this just e too heavy for the stock carrier? What is the best way to mount the 31” spare?

·
Registered
999 Posts
Well there are bumper mount or rear door mount or I think rear hinge mount. That 31" isn't too heavy. You have options.
What bumpers do you have now? Do you plan to replace them?

·
Disturbed Jeepaholic
41,815 Posts
Stock or aftermarket wheels? My 35" spare fits on the stock carrier with my wheel backspacing.

·
Premium Member
10,232 Posts
When I ran with a spare, I had a 31 on a stock canyon wheel mounted on the tail gate with no mods, problems, etc. The 31 even fit under the 3rd brake light with no problem

I’ve since gone spareless, my TJ is only used for local driving, so I removed the spare, mount, and reworked the brake light. I really like the clean look.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have ran a 33X9.5 BFG MT on my tail gate since probably 2002. No issues with the tail gate. The BFG is pretty light compared to other 33 inch tires. I do have a 1" body lift.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts