Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
see a sketchy post or profile? Report it!

Hey folks. I know this probably has been mentioned before, and may not be my place to bring it up, but I wanted to bring up the topic of spam accounts, and more specifically the increase of new accounts created just to sell items. Their tactics vary, some will have a vague reply that doesn’t even speak of the item in particular, others will try to have an actual conversation. But they all tend to go the same way…they know someone who you can contact (it’s usually not them themselves) who has the exact part you’re looking for, no matter how obscure.

For fun..I currently have a wanted ad for a “factory original” WK2 wagoneer exterior wood grain kit….and surprise surprise, I’m getting PMs from brand new members saying I know someone that has this part (most of you will get why this is LOL-worthy)

In the past, I had been a moderator/admin of another car forum for 15 years, and co-founded one of the largest Mopar forums online…so I’ve seen it all, and these scams are nothing new. Just be mindful of who you do business with, and report profiles and posts you suspect to be suspicious. And to the admin team, perhaps consider another verification step, although I understand it’s difficult because often these are real people creating these accounts…just with fake intentions. I’m always here to help when possible

stay safe

Reactions: Jeepy95

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
Odd i was reading your post and looking up any parts for kicks. Thinking the same thing too. 1st red flag is one post user with what you want, few post is still like a zillion to one odds. Like whats the odds? Not like this page has ton of users but it does have many and some are rather helpful.

What did come up in search would be maybe more possible. wrap that looks like what ever wood.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
If you’re ever in doubt, pop their email or username into a google. It’s not always the best way to tell, but chances are good they’re running the same scam elsewhere…and look for variations of that email as well.

Example: a fellow mentioned send an email to [email protected] to buy a part. Nothing came up in a google search, but a little research found that [email protected] was scamming people with fake parts over on a Ferrari forum. Coincidence? Not at all

·
Premium Member
7,266 Posts
Used to be members needed to have 25 legitimate posts in tech forums before they could post in the classified sections.
Now anyone can post anywhere. Even the "Jeep Girls" forum that could not even be viewed by people until they proved that they where female to the admins is open to all.
The new forum software is junk and they have no clue how to make it work properly

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Let’s stop these scammers. Report them. Site mods: perhaps make things stricter

I’ve had more I don’t know how many new members PM me with “email my friend, he has the part at a good price”. Check their info, and they joined like an hour ago lol.

it goes beyond spam…these losers take steal from members that fall for their B.S. Over the years I’ve seen them shut entire forums down because the number of unchecked fake accounts got so out of hand. They’ll never quit

·
Registered
4 Posts
Let’s stop these scammers. Report them. Site mods: perhaps make things stricter

I’ve had more I don’t know how many new members PM me with “email my friend, he has the part at a good price”. Check their info, and they joined like an hour ago lol.

it goes beyond spam…these losers take steal from members that fall for their B.S. Over the years I’ve seen them shut entire forums down because the number of unchecked fake accounts got so out of hand. They’ll never quit
I don't think that something has changed. Mostly people do not pay attention on the question of someone is posting a strange message on the forum

The idea of 25 posts is good though

1 - 7 of 7 Posts