Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was planning on getting the Zone 3 Inch suspension lift about a month ago, but due to my budget being so tight here lately with school and such, I've decided that buying it and everything I would need to go with it is out of my price range for now. With that being said, are spacer lifts a good short term alternative?

I just looked at the Zone spacer kit but I haven't really researched them too much yet. This would be used for probably around a year, and I figured that it would give me a chance to familiarize myself somewhat with the suspension components before I tackled an actual full-on suspension lift.

So what are yall's opinions on these kinds of lifts? any experience with this one in particular?

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Look at Rough Country. Just go look. Ignore stupid stuff you have heard from people who don't own anything made by Rough Country.

The spacer lift will have less usable travel than a comparable height spring lift, especially if the spring lift has progressive springs.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, thanks for the input. Will I need anything other than what comes with the spacer kit? I think it comes with shocks and spacers and bumpstop extensions. Anything else needed?

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
I have 4 spacers you can have if you pay for shipping. Pretty sure they are 2 inch spacers. Havent measured them.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I may take you up on that Connor0770. I'm still looking into things right now though, so I'll have to get back to you on that in the next day or so. If I do the ~2 inch spacer lift and a 1 inch body lift, will this be a good set up?

Also, what, if any, problems come with the body lift? It seems like I read something about having trouble shifting after a body lift. Not sure though, it was a while ago.

·
Disturbed Jeepaholic
42,000 Posts
Also, what, if any, problems come with the body lift? It seems like I read something about having trouble shifting after a body lift. Not sure though, it was a while ago.
No problems at all with a BL.I put a 2.25" BB (spacer lift) and a 1" BL on my brother's Jeep with 33's.He drove it that way for a few years before I installed a 4" lift for his 35's.

Spacers and body lift on 33's.It rode very good.:wave:

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have had boot/shifting problems. Tough getting into 2nd, more so than stock. The hose going from gas cap to the fuel tank needs to be lengthened. The PO (who put on the BL) Cut corners and just put a smaller cooling fan on and cut the fan shroud to fit. I don't know if I..HAD TO...put an electric fan in. But, I did to get my ac working at low speeds. It is a good first mod. Just wouldn't go too big because of the gap it creates. I would have done it on a budget. I am recent college grad so budget is a factor. You have to weigh in if you are going to put new tires on, probably want new rims. Cost more to replace larger tires...It does allow you to set your jeep apart from others. I think its worth it aesthetically, makes me like my jeep more. The performance is nothing to speak of. Just my $.02

·
Premium Member
26,495 Posts
I have had boot/shifting problems. Tough getting into 2nd, more so than stock. The hose going from gas cap to the fuel tank needs to be lengthened. The PO (who put on the BL) Cut corners and just put a smaller cooling fan on and cut the fan shroud to fit. I don't know if I..HAD TO...put an electric fan in. But, I did to get my ac working at low speeds. It is a good first mod. Just wouldn't go too big because of the gap it creates. I would have done it on a budget. I am recent college grad so budget is a factor. You have to weigh in if you are going to put new tires on, probably want new rims. Cost more to replace larger tires...It does allow you to set your jeep apart from others. I think its worth it aesthetically, makes me like my jeep more. The performance is nothing to speak of. Just my $.02
You are confusing a body lift with coil spacer lifts which is what OP is posting about. And your comments aren't even all correct as it relates to body lifts.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
It's not bad money spent as the body lift can be used with any suspension lift. Get free spacers, body lift and start building. Don't forget to get proper bumpstops.

To start with any way.

·
Disturbed Jeepaholic
42,000 Posts
It's not bad money spent as the body lift can be used with any suspension lift. Get free spacers, body lift and start building. Don't forget to get proper bumpstops.

To start with any way.
I love your color Jeep.:drool:How's the Auto tranny holding up?

·
Disturbed Jeepaholic
42,000 Posts
You are confusing a body lift with coil spacer lifts which is what OP is posting about. And your comments aren't even all correct as it relates to body lifts.
:highfive::teehee:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I like the way the Willys looks and I'm glad to hear that it rides well as I don't want to go from a decent ride to a horrible one. So the body lift doesn't create the shifting problems and such?

·
Disturbed Jeepaholic
42,000 Posts
I like the way the Willys looks and I'm glad to hear that it rides well as I don't want to go from a decent ride to a horrible one. So the body lift doesn't create the shifting problems and such?
Not at all.Most BL kits come with everything needed for a perfect install for around $100.A 1.25" BL won't create any problems.BL's don't create driveline vibes or any other problems,unless you go above 2"s(steering/shifting) and then they suck.:D

·
Disturbed Jeepaholic
42,000 Posts
The auto is doing very good (knock on wood) it's my first auto in a TJ/LJ. I really enjoy the smoothness off road.
How many miles on it? I loved my 3 speed auto and both of my 4 speed autos and even thought they were good with big tires and the OD OFF.My highest mileage 4 speed auto had 56,000 and was great.I'm recovering from surgery and looking for another Jeep (#7).A local woman has an electric lime green Rubi and I'm trying to buy it from her.Where I live in a rich college town(University of Virginia),Jeeps sell for crazy prices.I got $10,000 for my 98' with 96,000 miles.:shhh: It was perfect and pretty though.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
TheBoogieman said:
How many miles on it? I loved my 3 speed auto and both of my 4 speed autos and even thought they were good with big tires and the OD OFF.My highest mileage 4 speed auto had 56,000 and was great.I'm recovering from surgery and looking for another Jeep (#7).A local woman has an electric lime green Rubi and I'm trying to buy it from her.Where I live in a rich college town(University of Virginia),Jeeps sell for crazy prices.I got $10,000 for my 98' with 96,000 miles.:shhh: It was perfect and pretty though.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/808/1998jeep.jpg/
That is a sweetie.
It has 137k, 2"BB and 32s. Od off on the uphills and it runs pretty good. I will probably regear when a diff goes.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.