Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1985 CJ7 Jeep
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I know this is a bit of an odd question but I have an 85 cj7 with a 3” old procomp spring lift. It rides like crap and doesn’t flex for anything, even with sway bar discoed. I really want to keep the high about the same, but flex more. I keep going back to a yj spring conversion, and keeping it sua.
But then I though that an soa setup would likely be more flexible, and therefore make more sense for what I want.

so if I want 2.5-3” of lift from stock, first of all should I be going soa with some sort of lowering spring, or go sua and get some decent springs?

I really appreciate the help on this one. I also need the jeep to be fairly safe and not be breaking springs all the time, as it will be a dd.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Not gonna happen unless you French the mount up into the frame and even then I don't see it working out.

A flat spring SOA nets a minimum of 4.5"

I'd be looking at 2.5" YJ conversions. Mainly OME(old man emu).

Also double check your shackles and shocks. I find lots of rough rides attributed to shackle bolts too tight, shocks too stiff, and spring mounts too tight.

Sent from my SM-A015A using Tapatalk

Reactions: JoonHoss

·
Registered
1985 CJ7 Jeep
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked the shackles, I believe the shocks to be fairly old and they are Rancho 5000’s. The springs are old 2.5” pro comps and have some really awful reviews, so I think I’ll just do what you said and go to a 2-2.5” yj lift plus shackles. I really like the price point of the zone yj leaf springs and they have good reviews.

·
Registered
1974 Jeep CJ-6
6,148 Posts
Pull the longest leaf that you don't have to open up a spring clamp for out of the spring pack. The pro comp packs are way too stiff. Took that leaf out of the 4" pro comp springs in dad's 7 and it made a big difference.

·
Registered
1985 CJ7 Jeep
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On mine there are two spring clamps. I think I’d rather just replace them with yj leafs if that is what it comes to.

·
Registered
978 Posts
If zone doesn't have a kit I've been very happy with M.O.R.E.s YJ to CJ hangers. And thier shackles

I used poly bushings and had to spread my factory spring hangers a tad just FYI.

·
Registered
1986 Jeep Cherokee
152 Posts
For what it is worth, back in the day I designed and installed lift kits. On the CJ5 and 7 I took the heavy duty springs, the ones with the upside down curved leaf and removed it and installed heavy duty curved leaves. The front was a three tapered 5/16" leaves with 2 1/8" free arch and the rear removed the bottom leaf and substituted two 5/16" leaves with 2 1/4" free arch in place of the bottom leaf. The result was a 2" lift, using stock shocks and good cornering and good flex off road. I don't know if that will help you in your plans, but it was a good and fairly inexpensive kit fairly easy to install

·
Registered
1985 CJ7 Jeep
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If zone doesn't have a kit I've been very happy with M.O.R.E.s YJ to CJ hangers. And thier shackles

I used poly bushings and had to spread my factory spring hangers a tad just FYI.

Sounds good thanms

·
Registered
1985 CJ7 Jeep
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For what it is worth, back in the day I designed and installed lift kits. On the CJ5 and 7 I took the heavy duty springs, the ones with the upside down curved leaf and removed it and installed heavy duty curved leaves. The front was a three tapered 5/16" leaves with 2 1/8" free arch and the rear removed the bottom leaf and substituted two 5/16" leaves with 2 1/4" free arch in place of the bottom leaf. The result was a 2" lift, using stock shocks and good cornering and good flex off road. I don't know if that will help you in your plans, but it was a good and fairly inexpensive kit fairly easy to install
That’s awesome. I think I might be able to use that, I’m just wondering if I could maybe adjust it for closer to 2.5 or even 3” of lift?

·
Registered
1985 CJ7 Jeep
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Two inches was all I could get from it. But you could put a longer shackle on it to get a little more.
Ok. I was planning on using a 2” leaf and some shackles anyway, so I’ll definitely think about that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ok. I was planning on using a 2” leaf and some shackles anyway, so I’ll definitely think about that.
Be careful on using too tall of shackle. Much over 1 to 1-1/2 inches puts a lot of strain and twist on the spring hangers and leaves lots of slop in the spring system its self. If you haven't swapped your hangers for a good aftermarket hanger it may be something you want to consider regardless of what you decide to do for springs. Also, in my opinion, Spring Over Axle is NEVER a good way to go. It puts too much of the front end geometry out of wack and leads to a rough ride. Again, just my opinion.

·
Registered
1985 CJ7 Jeep
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Be careful on using too tall of shackle. Much over 1 to 1-1/2 inches puts a lot of strain and twist on the spring hangers and leaves lots of slop in the spring system its self. If you haven't swapped your hangers for a good aftermarket hanger it may be something you want to consider regardless of what you decide to do for springs. Also, in my opinion, Spring Over Axle is NEVER a good way to go. It puts too much of the front end geometry out of wack and leads to a rough ride. Again, just my opinion.
Okay that good to know. I was thinking a 3/4 inch shackle lift at most and 2” lift yj springs from zone. I’ll look into the upgraded shackle hangers.

·
Registered
557 Posts
How old is that Pro-Comp lift, anyway?

I have a 4" Pro-Comp lift installed in 1996, and it's a pretty stiff ride, for sure, but it will indeed flex (but quite limited when you have 33x15.50s on NarrowTracs - stuffed into the rear frame rails, actually):
Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Automotive tire

Hey Fourtrail, did pulling that leaf from the packs lose any height when you did that?

·
Registered
1985 CJ7 Jeep
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How old is that Pro-Comp lift, anyway?

I have a 4" Pro-Comp lift installed in 1996, and it's a pretty stiff ride, for sure, but it will indeed flex (but quite limited when you have 33x15.50s on NarrowTracs - stuffed into the rear frame rails, actually):
View attachment 4141662

Hey Fourtrail, did pulling that leaf from the packs lose any height when you did that?
Honestly not sure, they are def discontinued and they were like $50 apiece. They are pretty old, but the PO didn’t even know they were on there, said they were stock.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey all, I know this is a bit of an odd question but I have an 85 cj7 with a 3” old procomp spring lift. It rides like crap and doesn’t flex for anything, even with sway bar discoed. I really want to keep the high about the same, but flex more. I keep going back to a yj spring conversion, and keeping it sua.
But then I though that an soa setup would likely be more flexible, and therefore make more sense for what I want.

so if I want 2.5-3” of lift from stock, first of all should I be going soa with some sort of lowering spring, or go sua and get some decent springs?

I really appreciate the help on this one. I also need the jeep to be fairly safe and not be breaking springs all the time, as it will be a dd.
What is the end goal for your Jeep. Are you looking for more flex for wheeling or just a more comfortable ride on the street? For best flex you really want a long flat spring. Stock YJ springs are pretty good to start with. SOA will open a big can of worms for steering in the front and and axel wrap in the rear. I run SOA on my wheeling rig with stock YJ fronts with an extra leaf and stock Grand Wagoneer springs in the back. It's going to be a lot of work to get everything right SOA if it's going to be your DD. I would try taking out some of the shorter leaves in you're spring pack and see if that helps, Rancho shocks are also known to be pretty stiff.

·
Registered
1985 CJ7 Jeep
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My plan is for about 2.5-3 inches of lift total, and just more flex for wheeling. It will be a SS though so everyone is probably right about it being smarter to stay sua with yj springs for decent flex and have it stay safe for driving of the street.

·
Registered
1974 Jeep CJ-6
6,148 Posts
I think we gained about 1/2" when we pulled the leaf, it had less arch than the rest in the pack and was reducing the overall arch. Flexes pretty good, 36x12.50-15's on widetrack 30 and 20 with stock wheels.
Tire Plant Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
557 Posts
I think we gained about 1/2" when we pulled the leaf, it had less arch than the rest in the pack and was reducing the overall arch. Flexes pretty good, 36x12.50-15's on widetrack 30 and 20 with stock wheels.
VERY Nice!!

I wonder if there's any hope for mine since they're JUST 26 years old. I swapped my NarrowTracs out back in the early 2000s (after my pic above was taken) and just upsized to 35x12.50s a month or so ago. I can use all the extra height I can get now.

·
Registered
1974 Jeep CJ-6
6,148 Posts
VERY Nice!!

I wonder if there's any hope for mine since they're JUST 26 years old. I swapped my NarrowTracs out back in the early 2000s (after my pic above was taken) and just upsized to 35x12.50s a month or so ago. I can use all the extra height I can get now.
That set is about 25 years old also, bought them for $100 as takeoffs because they were too stiff. We have about 1" of shackle lift, flat front fenders and radiused the trailing edge of rear fenders to keep the tires from rubbing.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts