Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
It's a long trail that runs from where you were NNW up around Quarts Mountain. Easy, but scenic. I've done it many times. Next time you need to run from Tripod Flat to Shoestring over to Upper Kaner down to Lilly Pond and back to funny rocks. Makes for a long day but very nice scenery.
I do think we're going up to Shoestring via tripod flats, then over to Manashtash and then down to funny rocks. From there, we'll figure it out.

Is Lily Pond all that difficult from North to South? One of the guys I'm going with thinks his F150 will make it.... And I don't have lockers.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
From North to South Lilly Pond is not that difficult. It's all downhill, pretty much, but don't try to run it from funny rocks to Lilly Pond up those hills. Without lockers you will be winching up both hills to Lilly Pond. The 1st steep hill climb is always muddy/slick due to a big puddle at the base of it.

Can a F150 make it? Lilly Pond trail maybe, but definitely none of the others. They call it shoestring trail for the way it's tightly laced through the trees.

If you don't have lockers there is a hillclimb from shoestring up to manashtash ridge that can give you a challenge.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I do think we're going up to Shoestring via tripod flats, then over to Manashtash and then down to funny rocks. From there, we'll figure it out.

Is Lily Pond all that difficult from North to South? One of the guys I'm going with thinks his F150 will make it.... And I don't have lockers.
When are you planning to do these trails? Are you going in a group? Got room for one or two more? Don't mean to invite myself...

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
When are you planning to do these trails? Are you going in a group? Got room for one or two more? Don't mean to invite myself...
Tomorrow the 9th. Seems we got 5 rigs coming. None of us are really built. Meeting up at the Ace Hardware in Naches at 9. Feel free to msg me on here if ya wanna come along and act as a tour guide!

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Keep in mind those trails are not marked the way you may think. They are marked with numbers only. You'll see strategically located posts with a 4W number. Tripod Flat is 4W307. Shoestring is 4W308. Kaner Flats is 4W676 (and you might miss it because the marker is obscured off trail a bit and worn.) Lilly Pond is 4W617, but is not marked at all. As you come down Kaner to Lilly Pond veer off to the left.

I'd offer to go with you guys, but I just went there last weekend and I'm pooped.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Milk Run

Trip was a long, long success. 12.5 hours on the road yesterday. With 3 kids. 9, 4, and 3. The 3 year old lost it about bedtime. When we got to Ellensburg, he recovered with the help of Wendy's.

This is DEFINITELY a Jeeping area. DO NOT let anyone with a full size truck say they can make it without body damage. The F150 that went with us totally messed up his driver side. Both handles gone, gas cap gone, dented the whole thing. And it was a 2013-2104 model. Ouch. But Jeeps were untouched!

I only have a 2.5" lift and 32" tires, and no lockers. I went everywhere the stock 2015 JKU Rubicon went with ease.

http://www.nwjeepn.com/Maps/MilkLake.pdf
http://www.nwjeepn.com/Maps/MilkLake.pdf

We took the milk lake trail up to tripod flats and then ended up following our leader down to Lost Lake. That's where the body damage happened. Oh, and that trail? It's wideish at the beginning, but turns into a UTV trail then a walking trail. We turned around. Lake was purty though. Once we got out of there, we continued down to Forest Service road 3104, then to 31 and up to Ellensburg. Pics once I get to my phone and on break at work.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Pics as promised!

Attachments

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Holy CRAP that 1st incline is rough going east! I'd imagine that a locker would have made a world of difference going up it.

So it's easier than i thought to get there. FS-70 almost the whole way. I thought about trying the lower naches trail right before the trailhead, but then i saw it and was intimidated. Again, lockers would have made me feel much better and i would have at least attempted it.

Most of the trail was a nice ride through the forest with not much in the way of difficulty for any of the 3 rigs out there. The stock 2014 Tacoma TRD suprised the hell outta everyone. It only got hung up once and that was because he forgot to turn on his rear locker. He didn't get one bit of body damage.

PICS!

Attachments

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.