Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if a 2.5L 92 YJ with 31's, 2.5 in lift, and no lockers can make the trail. I've seen some vids of it, and it seems it would be possible with a locker in the front and a winch.

I'm not looking to wheel to extreme, and the Naches seems the most extreme I would ever want to go with kids with me. Thanks in advance! :highfive:

·
Registered
50 Posts
I run my cherokee through with 31s and it does just fine. Id recommend going with someone else if its your first time. Check nwjeepn.com for trail descriptions. As far as the local jk club you mentioned, an idiot can get stuck anywhere with any vehicle.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Many of the obstacles have bypasses for the tougher stuff.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
I ran the whole thing yesterday, we went east to west. I am on 33's with a 4 inch lift and open front and rear. I did not have any difficulties, a couple sections I had to make a couple runs at, and even most of these had another way around. There were also a few areas with multiple lines, and some of those lines there was no way my Jeep was making it through. I went with a IFS Tacoma with I think a 2 inch lift and 33's(it sits about the same as my Jeep) his wheel base helped in some areas where I was lifting a tire he was still good.

The west end of the trail is a little harder than the rest of the trail, we were doing that part all down hill though which made it easier. It is also a lot tighter than the rest of the trail, the Tacoma is an extended cab with a regular bed on it and he was using his rear tire to pivot around a couple trees. No body damage but definitely tight. My Jeep had no issue with the tighter parts. We both clipped our mirrors on a tree or log at one point but both times were driver error/lack of awareness.

I don't see any reason 31's and a 2 inch lift would not make the trail.

Here are some videos from yesterday, I am by no means an experienced off roader. For some reason they only uploaded in 240p, so excuse the quality.

This was the most difficulty I had, and this one was unavoidable, the Tacoma went right up it. Has some language at 0:04 and 0:20. Not a tire size issue, just grip/flex issue. The hill is a lot steeper than it looks in the video.

This one tripped me up a little, again the Tacoma went right up it, the noise is his back tire rubbing on the fender. As you can see to the right there is an easy way not that this way was hard.

This one flexed me out pretty good

And here is a little mud hole we found, the Tacoma had a little trouble with this one and almost got stuck, which is why the end of the video ends with a uh? To the right of this was pretty much a flat road.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome stuff man! I ended up going with 32's actually, so that kinda mitigates part of the problem. Nothing you showed me there looks like anything that would be a problem for me. I'm also not a super experienced off road guy. It's ALSO awesome that you had a YJ running it!

I've looked at a couple of maps of the area and didn't really see anything that says 'this is the exact trail to take' for running the Naches. There's trails everywhere around there and I'm a bit cornfused.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
You will be approaching from the East side, so I'm less familiar with your entrance points but here's a link to an excellent map and screenshot below of satellite map main East entrance.

As you can see on the map in the link there are multiple entrance points.

http://www.nwjeepn.com/Maps/NachesEast.pdf

Attachments

·
Registered
308 Posts
Here's I video I made just recently running from east to west. solo on 32's with truetracs front and rear. This video is edited and shows a little of all of the trail. It will give you an idea. The east side is easy if a bit tight in areas. The West side is more difficult and you will have some tight spots but it is all really doable right now before the snow comes. If you go solo rig like I did, have emergency supplies and be willing to wait or walk a long ways if something breaks.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Many of the obstacles have bypasses for the tougher stuff.
I've never seen any bypasses on the Naches Trail.

Starting out on lower West side heading East has 3 different fairly steep hill climbs. Becomes a winch fest if wet, even if locked up front/rear. Rest of the trail is easy.
Ditto

THe only sections that area challenging would a portion of the far west section of the trail. Most people start the trail from up higher, at the 7030 RD (Pyramid Pass) area, near Gov't Meadows.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Headed up that way this weekend. I think we'll be headed up to Milk Lake trail, up to Tripod flats, then back down to check out funny/moon rocks. Possibly go back out down south that way. Not too sure.

I see that Manastash Ridge is right there, is it worth checking out?

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
I see that Manastash Ridge is right there, is it worth checking out?
It's a long trail that runs from where you were NNW up around Quarts Mountain. Easy, but scenic. I've done it many times. Next time you need to run from Tripod Flat to Shoestring over to Upper Kaner down to Lilly Pond and back to funny rocks. Makes for a long day but very nice scenery.

I was just at Naches Trail this weekend. Aren't those trails you just mentioned part of the Manastash Ridge trail
That is correct, they are part of Manashtash Ridge, or otherwise known as Little Naches.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.