Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
1994 YJ and a 92 XJ
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sold my jeeps a while back, both a built XJ and YJ. Been working on a YJ I bought and got it nicely built so far. I also have a WJ thats my daily that I was gonna build up but realized for the same money I could get another XJ and bulid it up good. So then this happen today. 144k, non-disco, I'm the third owner. AC/heater work, gonna leave the inside untouched.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1994 YJ and a 92 XJ
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My plan is to put in a nicely built waggy I found from a guy, 5-6" 35's or 37's. 8.8 in the back and long arms, suggestions for long arms appreciated, looking at Serious long arms, I like their tranny skid

·
I pledge allegiance
4,421 Posts
Looks like a good start, I’ll be interested to see what you do with her.

Reactions: paulhead

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Looks like a great starting point. What year? Jealous of the vent windows.

·
Premium Member
1994 YJ and a 92 XJ
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it's a 92, salvage title. But the low miles on drive train and good cond (drivetrain, interior, AC, heater) is what got me. They're getting pricey out here even with high mileage. It had a hit in the back that was fixed but I noticed the frame still a little crumpled. It has a tranny cooler , factory tow lights and looks like it had a tow hitch but the build sheet states D35 which it has. Pretty sure the tow packages came with the 8.25.Curvature in the frame is normal, just pointing out the crumpled spots.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1994 YJ and a 92 XJ
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I knew there were some auto dismantlers up the street but didn't realized one had a 8.8 out of a 2000 explorer. Made a call and shazam. Rotors have life, not too much gunk on the calipers

Attachments

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Nice pick. What gears?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
1994 YJ and a 92 XJ
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Passed (Calif) smog today, stoked. I wanna get a steering pump leak fixed and seal the front windshield (i can hear and feel wind coming thru) before any winter rains. Hope there's no big rust hidden. Hopefully Cavfab got my order started. Gotta wait for the frame stiffeners to come in before I start taking things apart anyway. RE 5.5" coils are still under $100 on Amazon, I thought it was a glitch. Got mine with the first set of boxes that came in

·
Premium Member
1994 YJ and a 92 XJ
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got most all my parts (most bought during the black friday sale) together to include:
CavFab Alpha series 3 link
RE 5.5" coils ,4.5" leafs and ext shackles
1 ton steering set up
RE1660 Track Bar and mount
HD and Ruffstuff frame stiffeners
Ford 8.8, Grizzly locker and Yukon shafts (still needs to be geared to 4.88 and installed)
Spartan for the D30, planning on getting chromos for it too
got a T case with a SYE already on it, was planning on getting an Adams drive shaft
35" KM 2s on black steelies

gonna get started here in the next few weeks starting with the stiffeners. Gonna deliver the axles to my guy to get gears installed.

·
Premium Member
1994 YJ and a 92 XJ
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Had some time today and threw the Spartan in the D30 carrier I got for the axle since it needed a higher ratio carrier and it was out and dry. Of course I greased the parts up before putting them together. Foot note: If installing one of these I guess it's a common problem the hardened cross shaft has issue going in some carriers so after I installed the locker I had to pop it back out to grind down the carrier shaft holes a little. (might be common knowledge but it was new to me)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1994 YJ and a 92 XJ
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well live and learn, learned from the drivers side frame stiffeners. Worried about burning thru the thin unibody I used a 110 flux core to weld on the stiffeners and that was a mistake. It worked but I didn't like the welds and even touched it up with my 220 gas welder that I shoula used. Passenger side came out a lot prettier. I prepped everything with weld primer (this stuff ain't cheap). Then I got busy on the 8.8 grinding off the stock hardware and welding the tubes. Gonna pull the D30 tomorrow and get both axles to my gear guy.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.