Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
recently i have gotten into hog hunting here in FL.
Most of the locations I go to have a fair amount of mud and some pretty deep puddles and and small creeks to cross. As a result I am thinking about investing in a snorkel just in case.

I've been looking at the rugged ridge modular snorkel system but i'm wondering why it is about 200 dollar cheaper than most other snorkels out there. it seems to fit my needs quite nicely because i don't like the look of a snorkel all that much for day to day driving.
however, i'll give up on looks if there is some sort of performance flaw with the modular design.

Can anyone weigh in and help me out?

·
Registered
561 Posts
What would be very useful is a snorkel shoot out. I'd like to see a comparison of CFM flow through the various different models. Maybe have a shop that does head porting put them on their flow bench and see what each one can do. I have a feeling that the ones that are at cowl height would flow better, but the roof height ones do a better job of grabbing clean air when following on a dusty trail.

·
Registered
395 Posts
The rugged ridge is on my list to do before spring. From everything I've seen, it's a good snorkel and pretty easy to install. As doc said, I think it's cheaper, like most rugged ridge items, because it's made in china.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
JLH said:
What would be very useful is a snorkel shoot out. I'd like to see a comparison of CFM flow through the various different models. Maybe have a shop that does head porting put them on their flow bench and see what each one can do. I have a feeling that the ones that are at cowl height would flow better, but the roof height ones do a better job of grabbing clean air when following on a dusty trail.
Also type of terrain. I wheel in tight terrain and a roof height one wasn't gonna be an option for me personally.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also type of terrain. I wheel in tight terrain and a roof height one wasn't gonna be an option for me personally.
yes that was also a concern. when plowing through the ocala national forest stuff was brushing up against both sides of the jeep nonstop. thought i might lose my antenna

·
Registered
395 Posts
yes that was also a concern. when plowing through the ocala national forest stuff was brushing up against both sides of the jeep nonstop. thought i might lose my antenna
That's what's nice about the rugged ridge snorkel, it also comes with the low mount snorkel, which is what i would run 98% of the time. When out wheeling, I'd just keep the high mount in the back and switch them out when needed.

P.S. Ocala NF is great! I try to get up there at least twice a year. Lots of sugar sand and tight trails.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
The rugged ridge is on my list to do before spring. From everything I've seen, it's a good snorkel and pretty easy to install. As doc said, I think it's cheaper, like most rugged ridge items, because it's made in china.
To me, this install looks far from easy. It requires the removal of the whole fender:

Versus this?

Also, I'd be concerned with having the RR one since it has so many joints in the system. Plus some of them are in hard to access areas. The others have less pieces so there are less locations for water intrusion.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i don't have an issue with difficult installs. i enjoy turning a wrench and working on a car when the weather is nice like it is now :)

thanks for your input guys.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Be careful buying the snorkel. A guy just posted up in All Florida-Only Jeeps on Facebook that he bought a snorkel kit off a guy for $125 and the guy is giving him the runaround. He paid by check and still hasn't gotten the snorkel. Not sure how he came in contact with the guy but it seems to be a shady deal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.