Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to give smokin up some jerkey a go. Caribbean Kerk, Chipotle Pepper and Hawaiian

:grin2::grin2::grin2::grin2: :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

GLAD the summer time is RIGHT around the corner!

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks good! I haven't tried smokin' jerky so very interested in how it comes out.
It came out AMAZING! :drool::drool::drool::drool: Soft flavorful with JUST enough of the "bark" you get from smoking meat. The flavor hits up towards your molars NOM NOM NOM! :grin2:

I should have done more... its already almost gone....

Had it in the smoker about 4 hours at 220. Used Hickory wood over kingsford charcoal.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just cut the meat to different thickness, beat it with a meat tenderizer, put it in the different marinades for a few hours and than to the grille for a few hours!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I can't tell from the picture. How far from the heat source do you put the meat. Been wanting to try making jerky. Would love some tips

·
Administrator
21,346 Posts
jerky should not really be over much of any heat; the goal is to dry it out, not cook it. and if you plan to store it without refrigeration it needs to be nearly fat free since that will go rancid. That's why London broil is a perfect cut for jerky

no matter what you did to those, it looks good.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I smoked a big batch last year. It didn't really jerk it as it was only in there about an hour+ with the heat and the thickness of the cut, but man oh man was it yummy. Like a skirt steak and oozing with flavor. Everybody loved it.

And it didn't keep well like the other half of the batch I dehydrated, so keep that in mind...just eat it!

·
Corripe Cervisiam
7,441 Posts
jerky should not really be over much of any heat; the goal is to dry it out, not cook it. and if you plan to store it without refrigeration it needs to be nearly fat free since that will go rancid.
I make beef jerky from time to time, usually a couple of pounds that I give to my friends at work. I tell them to refrigerate it and eat it within a few days, as the stuff I'm cranking out is probably not going to preserved for the long term. I smoke it about 170 degrees for about 5 hours. I use beef round roast which is very lean. Here's a video that shows my process:

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I suppose that if one wanted to store jerky for a really long time, the fat might become rancid. But I would guess that the protein would metabolize before the fat goes bad. And, I like jerky with a little fat. It is where all the flavor is found.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
7,441 Posts
I'm going to make Thai style beef jerky next time. My initial plan is to marinate the beef round roast slices in grated fresh ginger, coconut milk, garlic, yellow curry powder, soy sauce, black pepper, and of course habenero Tabasco sauce which always makes for great and very spicy beef jerky.

In the past I have usually used a dry rub for jerky because I didn't want to add moisture, so this will be a departure from that. The coconut milk adds fat which is not ideal, so we'll see.

Also, I'll throw this technique out there: You can put the beef slices on racks inside the fridge overnight and they will dry out to a certain extent. I have a couple of wire cooling racks (used for bread, cakes etc) and they're great for keeping the jerky off the bottom of the pan so that both sides dry out in the fridge. So I might have to use this technique to pre-dry the meat for a day before smoking it.

I'll post here when I make this batch.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Also, I'll throw this technique out there: You can put the beef slices on racks inside the fridge overnight and they will dry out to a certain extent. I have a couple of wire cooling racks (used for bread, cakes etc) and they're great for keeping the jerky off the bottom of the pan so that both sides dry out in the fridge. So I might have to use this technique to pre-dry the meat for a day before smoking it.

I'll post here when I make this batch.
Need to try this! Awesome idea. I've always gone straight from marinating into the smoker.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.