Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Corripe Cervisiam
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They look really good Ken, I have never cooked beef ribs and need to try it .

What temp. did you try to keep ?
I shoot for for 225* F. Depending on how well I trend the fire, the temp will typically vary from 200 to 250 as the coals and wood rise and fall.

Personally, I find beef ribs to be less greasy tasting than pork ribs. Every time I eat pork ribs, I am left wanting a smoked pork tenderloin which is cheap and the most tender and lean pork you can get.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Those look amazing. I hope they tasted as good as they look!

I've never smoked beef ribs, but after the batch of pork ribs I did today I understand your comment about them. I did my first ones ever over labor day and they turned out great, but today's were on the greasy side. I think my first batch were just better quality racks.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
It is interesting to have smoked beef short ribs (I assume those above are shorties) every now and then. But it is good to remember that the type and cut of meat or fish is often determinative of what is the best preparation method.

For my part, I have beef short ribs about once every two weeks. My butcher has my number and touts them to me whenever they have them from their side of beef. I have cooked them dozens of times. Maybe hundreds (I'm an old fart). Every way you can think of. They are my favorite red meat.

But, IMO braising is what works best for beef short ribs.

Stovetop brown, on all sides, 3 pounds of short ribs, cut into short sections, in a couple of tablespoons of clarified butter.

Deglaze the pan with three cups of shallots peeled and roughly chopped and two cups of peeled and roughly chopped carrots. Cook until shallots are soft but not brown.

Add bay leaf, one can of whole white canned potatoes (they don't break up into starch like fresh potatoes do) and one cup good Bordeaux red wine, salt and pepper to your preference.

Cook two hours in the oven at 300F and then 45 minutes uncovered at 300F watching carefully for the gravy to reduce to a thick, very rich, consistency.

Serves 2.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My guess was 225 and indirect .

What are you smoking on ?
An ~8 year old offset smoker from Oklahoma Joes. It's made from 1/8" steel pipe and pretty well made. I think it will last several years. The whole rig is maybe 4 feet end to end. I have welded a few add-ons to it over the years. I will post a photo later.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.