Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else get smoke through their dash vents when driving? Not all the time, and not a lot, but enough that it some times fogs up my windshield. Anybody know what it could be? I noticed I get a little antifreeze in my passenger side floor board every now and then, like a teaspoon after a ride. Not sure if the 2 are related...

·
Premium Member
3,563 Posts
You have a coolant leak at your heater core. Either the core itself or the hoses leaking at the core connection and following the tubes into the vehicle.

·
Moderation in Moderation
1995 YJ Wrangler SE
10,952 Posts
Boojo nailed it.

Happened to me. Your heater box might be well sealed and only allowing a little to weep through to your floorboard, like mine. when i pulled out the HVAC unit and cracked it open LORDY was that heater core leaking.

Check your coolant level

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, went and checked it out after posting. My overflow was bone dry, rad was still full though. Guess I'll be ordering a core.

·
Registered
373 Posts
At some point my heater core will probably need to be replaced as it's bypassed from the previous owner.

One of the things I plan on doing is upgrading the blower motor while it's apart. From reading on this forum about it, it seems like a no brainer upgrade. Something to consider. Others that have done it will probably be able to give you more info.

This is the sticky. Top of post #13

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12...ur-answers-here-580536/#/topics/580536?page=2

·
Registered
307 Posts
Blower motor resistors going bad / burning up will cause smoke through your vents (disconcerting to say the least, believe me), but if you have puddles, your heater core is obviously going.

·
Premium Member
3,563 Posts
I did the blower upgrade in my 87 when I did my heater core. I did have to enlarge the hole in the firewall. It is definitely a must do upgrade.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the info guys! I'll more than likely swap the blower motor while I have it all apart, cause this is turning into a resto that I plan to keep till I die lol

·
Premium Member
9,530 Posts
Get the Bosch one btw. Crosses to PM102? Someone please confirm that part #

Depending on the jeep there’s apparently three or four wiring setups. The 91 I did I had to carefully cut and modify the boot cuz it had a spade input that wouldn’t work. Others just needed a bigger hole in the firewall. Seems like I recall having to add a negstive(-) ground jumper to one get the fan to run?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Depending on the jeep there's apparently three or four wiring setups. The 91 I did I had to carefully cut and modify the boot cuz it had a spade input that wouldn't work. Others just needed a bigger hole in the firewall. Seems like I recall having to add a negstive(-) ground jumper to one get the fan to run?
How long ago did you do it? From what I read on that other forum there isn't an upgrade anymore, the blazer p.n. is the same as the yj, wouldn't they make it a direct bolt in if they're selling it as the specific part for that vehicle? Not that it's much of a hassle to me, more curiosity.

·
Premium Member
3,563 Posts
I had to enlarge the hole in the firewall on my 87. Not sure if you have to do that on all years. My 87 electrical plug is also on the outside of the firewall. IIRC my 94 has the plug in the cabin.

·
Premium Member
9,530 Posts
How long ago did you do it? From what I read on that other forum there isn't an upgrade anymore, the blazer p.n. is the same as the yj, wouldn't they make it a direct bolt in if they're selling it as the specific part for that vehicle? Not that it's much of a hassle to me, more curiosity.
Last one (it fit, wiring didn't match) was that '91 '89 '93 mix'n'match I mentioned. Another '91 needed a bigger hole.

The point is whatever you do it can work.

I had to enlarge the hole in the firewall on my 87. Not sure if you have to do that on all years. My 87 electrical plug is also on the outside of the firewall. IIRC my 94 has the plug in the cabin.
Right! Good point.
I think that was my issue- I had to make it interior. Can't remember but it was fixable

·
Moderation in Moderation
1995 YJ Wrangler SE
10,952 Posts

Depending on the jeep there's apparently three or four wiring setups. The 91 I did I had to carefully cut and modify the boot cuz it had a spade input that wouldn't work. Others just needed a bigger hole in the firewall. Seems like I recall having to add a negstive(-) ground jumper to one get the fan to run?
Confirmed. PM102.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well looks like it had been leaking for a while. Unfortunately the antifreeze hardened up my foam gaskets, so what would've been a 1 day job is now turning into a couple weeks while I wait for new ones.

Also, my blower motor resistor had 1 snapped ear on it, when I pulled the clip the other 2 snapped as well. Anyone know where to order those? Checked rockauto, summit and a couple canadian sites and not available.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,530 Posts
Blower motor resistor: local parts store, or buy the Standard brand from Amazon. If you are feeling philanthropic buy the Omix one LOL
Rockaotto is stupid as are most sites that use the same database for ‘fitment’. This isn’t brand/model specific and I didn’t double check but I believe each of these in the screen shot will work, albeit the TJ one is not pull’n’play

Any foam gasket from the hardware store can work. Don’t wait two weeks! Just do it well 🙂

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Anybody else get smoke through their dash vents when driving? Not all the time, and not a lot, but enough that it some times fogs up my windshield. Anybody know what it could be? I noticed I get a little antifreeze in my passenger side floor board every now and then, like a teaspoon after a ride. Not sure if the 2 are related...
so i have a 2003 liberty and recently i have been having the same issue. my windows are fogging up with or without the heat on. i live in fl so i rarely need the heat but here lately its been chilly in the am. and when its rainy. the ac compressor is fairly new, like a yr old. im not losing coolant. the heat and ac work perfectly. when i do turn the heat on smoke or steam comes out of the vents(i dont know really what it is) and it does smell like coolant. there is not coolant pooled under the carpet. i am at a total loss. and stressed. i cant drive cuz i cant see cuz it fogs so bad. can any one help me

·
Registered
307 Posts
A frequently dirty / cloudy, "filmed" over windshield can be a sign of a leaking heater core.

You could try unplugging the blower motor resistor. I honestly don't know them on Jeeps, but on many cars the high fan setting will still work with the resistor unhooked. You could try that to see what it does, to iliminate the resistor. But if you're smelling coolant, it's probably the core.

·
Registered
7 Posts
A frequently dirty / cloudy, "filmed" over windshield can be a sign of a leaking heater core.

You could try unplugging the blower motor resistor. I honestly don't know them on Jeeps, but on many cars the high fan setting will still work with the resistor unhooked. You could try that to see what it does, to iliminate the resistor. But if you're smelling coolant, it's probably the core.
oh thank you. i will try that and post my result. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts