Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Price $279
Rating 3
Pros One of the best looking bumper/tire carriers on the market.
Cons Looks aren't everything. Holes don't line up. Hardware is terrible. Inconsistent craftsmanship. Simple and Defective.
Recommended no

Comments: Dont expect everything to line up and don't expect an easy install. I bought the bumper and the install wasn't that bad. Had to buy new hardware, grind a little here and drill a little there but I got it on. My friend got the same bumper and the install was a horror story. He bolted it on using the factory hardware and broke d*** near every bolt. Then he went to mount the tire carrier and the shaft that the tire carrier slides onto was crooked so it wouldn't line up to the latch. :thumbdown: Hit or miss product. Do you feel lucky punk?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Price $300
Rating 4
Pros It's sturdy and looks great
Cons Latch
Recommended yes

Comments: I have had this bumper/tire carrier for over a year now. It holds up well and looks great. It has been holding a 33"/1250" with no real problems. I even use the hitch on it to tow a very heavy 6'x8' trailer with various things in it including a motorcycle. And that is without installing all of the bolts that come with it. Two of the bolts that come with it require you to drop the gas tank and drill holes through the rear of your frame. I didn't do that part. Still towes the trailer with no problems.

My only complaint is the latch design. It rattles a lot and doesn't hold very well. On one occasion I hit a bump in the road and the latch bounced over the lip on the bumper and the carrier swung open while driving down the road. No damage done, just scared the **** out of me. If this bumper had a descent latch I wouldn't have any complaints at all. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Price $350
Pros looks ok
Cons tire carrier rattles like hell, hard to install.
Recommended no

Comments: Got one a few months ago. PITA to install. The bumber looks good though. Instructions are crap. The tire carrier rattles all the time! The way it mounts to the Frame makes me kinda uneasy. The bolts screw into the bumper from the other side of the frame instead of the bolts being welded to the bumber and being bolted on from the other side like the stock bumber. Not sure about this thing. Will deff be doing some mods to it to add strength.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Price $350
Pros Decent bumper for the price, swing out tire carrier is nice.
Cons tire carrier rattles a bit
Recommended yes

Comments: For the money, it is not a bad bumper. Smittybilt has a pretty bad reputation among jeepers though. I fixed my tire carrier rattling by using a bungee strap around the latch. It's better than having a 33" tire on the rear tail gate

·
Registered
9 Posts
Price $125
Rating 3
Pros Receiver and D rings
Cons To be determined
Recommended yes

Comments: This is just the bumper without the tire carrier. The paperwork says its class IV rated, not so sure about that but its still cheaper than buying a separate receiver and will hold all my jeep will pull. The holes all lined up fine but the back plates that came with it needed to be shaved down a little. All in all, for the money you spend on one you can't complain.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Price $300
Rating 5
Pros Looks Good at a Great Price
Cons Strenthgen Brackets need to be grinded down.
Recommended yes

Comments: Besides it being in the 30s outside the install went relatively easy. From start to finish took 3 hours with 2 people. Only issue we came across was that the strengthening brackets were oversized and needed to be ground. Overall the bumper looks great and works as intended. Also provides great clearance. I would recommend this to bumper to a friend.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Price $350
Pros Tough, looks good, easy installation
Cons Heavy and rattles
Recommended yes

Comments: It is sturdy and tough. It can withstand quite a pounding on the trails. It looks great in the back of any jeep. The spare is in a great place for easy access and easy to take off or tighten if necessary.

If the bolts are not on good the tire does have a tendency to be shook loose but because of how it's secured its not going to fall off.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Price $320
Pros Well built and heavy duty.
Cons Grease fitting gets in the way of the rear tail gate, limited opening. Template was off so holes needed to be re done
Recommended yes

Comments: Like I said above. Good for the price.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Price $1
Pros it allows me to carry a larger tires
Cons makes a lot of noise
Recommended yes

Comments: The carrier is a decent peace of a budget but in the future i will be cutting it off and doing some thing different

·
Registered
17 Posts
Price $370
Pros Clean design.
Cons Where the mount for the spare tire is welded to the bumper has cracked and had to weld it back together.
Recommended no

Comments: Clean design but has cracked on me and rattles a little as it wears.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Price $189
Rating 4
Pros drings, receiver, very stout bumper, clear and easy to follow install instructions (although process sucks)
Cons huge PIA to install.
Recommended yes

Comments: Had mine on my jeep for 2 years with a 33 with no problems. Once you adjust it properly it doesn't rattle but you do need to push it against the snubber pretty good to open it.

I Just installed another one for a buddy yesterday and had forgotten how much of a PIA the install is. Its straight forward process and the supplied drill template makes locating where you need to drill for the inner bolts easy. Installing those inner bolts sucks donkey balls though

To install the inner set of bolts you either need to pull the drive side body bolts jack up the tub on the driver side about 2"s and borrow a small handed person to start the bolts or drop the gas tank and follow their instructions.

Given both times I did this install the jeeps had a near full tank of gas on both occasions I just lifted the tub.

Short of those driver side bolts you can do the install by yourself without too much issue. The passenger side are a pain too but are significantly easier then the driver side and can be accomplished without getting creative

·
Registered
421 Posts
Price $200
Pros Looks Heavy Duty, Clean Paint.
Cons PITA to install by self and specially for the inner set of bolts, Latch hard to open.
Recommended yes

Comments: Just installed it so no complaints yet, will report any issues later on . Get a friend or a neighbor to help you quickly hold it up while you screw the outside bolts. The inner bolts are PITA to install. I did not drop my tank and yet have not installed the inner bolts. Also the lower two frame mounts do not line up correctly will have to fix this later on. Have not driven the car yet to make comment on noise. The Latch is a bit hard to open up.
(Installed Spare 35x12.50x15 BFG Mud Terrain on YJ)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Price $300
Pros Relieves stress on rear tailgate, relatively cheap
Cons latch rattles
Recommended yes

Comments: Overall, the bumper is well built. Its very solid and protective. My only con is that the latch is poorly designed. The reciever for the latch is too big for the latch which causes a terrible rattle. The bumper rattled so much that the latch handle rattled right off of the latch. I had to replace with a bolt.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Price $370
Pros feels strong
Cons fitment issues, had to cut and weld bottom brackets to fit. rattles
Recommended no

Comments: I would recommend going a different route if you want an out of the box part. that fits perfect. price is to high for a part that needs mods to fit perfect

·
Registered
14 Posts
Price $179
Pros Like the front bumper, it looks fantastic and is made of incredibly strong steel. The tire carrier goes on flawlessly when installing.
Cons In the instructions (for a TJ) it requires drilling, that is impossible without having to take off the gas tank. You can ignore it (like I did) and wind up completely fine, but if you're one to really follow directions, you might want to reconsider.
Recommended yes

Comments: Like the front bumper, it looks fantastic and is made of incredibly strong steel. The tire carrier goes on flawlessly when installing. Cheap too!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Price $370
Pros Great Look, Extremely durable
Cons Latch
Recommended yes

Comments: Great Product, Has saved my car from a few light accidents and rocks. Only downfall is with a bigger tire and gas can mounted it must be lifted up to latch correctly

·
Registered
87 Posts
Price $380
Pros Inexpensive. functional. Solid folded steel box construction.
Cons Inside mount bolts, grease nipple height.
Recommended yes

Comments: I was winched up backwards in the mud, by one shackle, even though the inside mount bolts were not installed. The hill was about 60 feet at a 45 degree angle and my jeep was positioned 90 degrees to it. We hooked one side to it only to get a spin going to turn it around and pulled it up. Of course once we got to better ground the jeep helped backing up, but initially, it took a lot of force to pull it out. The bumper shows no sign of stress or pulling out.
The inside were left off as you have to drop the tank, surprisingly the bumper held fast during winching.
The grease nipple was a little high and door mount shaved the very top off, no big deal though as it still works.
Installation was very quick otherwise with the tire carrier solid enough. I am mounting a 31" BFG on it now,with no issues.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.