Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's one for you experts:

This year I've been using the TJ as a tow vehicle for a harbor freight trailer with an 87 standup jetski on it. Now my parking brake doesn't hold exactly right and on steep inclines the Jeep rolls. I always park in gear.

WELL the last time I was backed down the ramp the Jeep (parked in gear, engine off) started ticking backwards like a clock or something. Like tick tick tick and I could see the wheels just barely rotating like 1 degree with each tick.

Dangerous? Obviously. But what the heck is specifically happening that is allowing the vehicle to roll at 0.01mph with a rhythmic clicking while in gear?

·
Premium Member
10,303 Posts
Parking brakes don't hold well in "reverse", just the nature of design with brake shoes.

You should always use first or reverse gear, And put t-case in 4low, this will help with gearing.

Or just get a set of wheel chocks, which is always best anyway.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My biggest concern was the tick tick tick would go POP and it would free-roll backward into the river while running me over. Hence why I was trying to figure the source to predict how it could fail.

My gut was what jkp said it's the engine turning.

Wheel chocks are a good idea and I'll bring a set next time I launch, but on the slippery boat ramp they might not hold as intended PLUS when the Jeep rolls back and leverages against them I might run into a situation where I'm in and out of it on the ramp to collect my chocks in another dicey situation.

Ill try the 4-low idea that's smart to increase resistance through gearing.

Any chance it's the clutch slipping? Or that would be a smooth movement not a ticking clockwork?

That parking brake needs adjustment for sure, but it's only on those steep ramps with a trailer behind me that it doesn't just hold.

·
Registered
927 Posts
My biggest concern was the tick tick tick would go POP and it would free-roll backward into the river while running me over. Hence why I was trying to figure the source to predict how it could fail.

Wheel chocks are a good idea and I'll bring a set next time I launch, but on the slippery boat ramp they might not hold as intended PLUS when the Jeep rolls back and leverages against them I might run into a situation where I'm in and out of it on the ramp to collect my chocks in another dicey situation.

Any chance it's the clutch slipping? Or that would be a smooth movement not a ticking clockwork?

That parking brake needs adjustment for sure, but it's only on those steep ramps with a trailer behind me that it doesn't just hold.
The noise is most likely the brake shoe slipping and the spring hardware snapping back into position within the drum, I have experienced similar.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts

I had an old Chevy once that did that. Engine ran fine, good gas mileage, but the bleed down compression was poor.

The 4 low is a good idea, and if you're on a wet boat ramp the extra traction of 4 wheels will help. Doubt it's the clutch, because if it were slipping when parked it would really be noticeable under load.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Nose down, use 1st. Nose up, use reverse. The engine will turn backwards easier. And 4 low will help if its really steep.

·
Premium Member
10,303 Posts
You could also put a hitch receiver on the front, pull the trailer to the launch site like normal, move the hitch ball and trailer to the front in the level parking lot, launch the wave runner driving Jeep forward down ramp, set the parking brake, parking brake holds much better in forward direction.

Reverse above procedure to get trailer home.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
So just to follow up I did use low range last two times out and that Jeep wasn't creaking, rolling, nothing. Good suggestion guys.

Next season I've got to get that parking brake adjusted properly.
As someone on this site observed years ago.... As you Jeep gets older, parking brake is replaced by parking brick.:D

• Haha
Reactions: superj

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here's one for you experts:

This year I've been using the TJ as a tow vehicle for a harbor freight trailer with an 87 standup jetski on it. Now my parking brake doesn't hold exactly right and on steep inclines the Jeep rolls. I always park in gear.

WELL the last time I was backed down the ramp the Jeep (parked in gear, engine off) started ticking backwards like a clock or something. Like tick tick tick and I could see the wheels just barely rotating like 1 degree with each tick.

Dangerous? Obviously. But what the heck is specifically happening that is allowing the vehicle to roll at 0.01mph with a rhythmic clicking while in gear?
Low compression engine? No parking brake are you nuts🤔🤔😎😎😂🤣

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Well yeah I am nuts but that's beside the point!

It's not no brake, it's just weak. Holds on my sloped driveway for example. Just not on a steep ramp with a thousand pounds hitched behind it.
Especially on older cars when the aging brake cable decides not to release.

·
Disturbed Jeepaholic
42,154 Posts
Don't be like that guy on here a few years back, He left his Jeep running, in neutral with the parking brake on, while he unhooked his boat. Both rolled back and the boat floated. but the Jeep didn't for some reason. Expensive lesson that everyone already knows (or should). Jeep TJ parking brakes suck. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts