Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, Hemi V8, 88,400 miles, HD Cooling. This is my tow vehicle for a 6,000 lb travel trailer.

I recently had my oil changed by Jeep, and they noted that there was evidence of a radiator leak. They didn't seem too worried about it at the time. When I got home I checked, and there was evidence of a past leak, but no new leakage. Also, the radiator fluid reservoir was full. It was a very hot day, 95+ degrees with the AC on, so I would have expected a wet (current) leak, but no. See attached photos. This view is looking straight down at the inside passenger side of the radiator after a hot drive in 95+ degree weather. This looks exactly the same as it did yesterday - that is, no new leakage. It looks like the drip marks have been there for a while. I also checked the bottom of the lower radiator hose, and the leak is not coming from there.

I have an appointment to have Jeep check it out next week. Not sure what they will recommend, but if they want to do a pressure test I might as well replace the radiator. (The last two times I had a radiator pressure tested it failed shortly after).

Perhaps I should just have the radiator, hoses, and thermostat replaced anyway, just to be on the safe side.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

Charlie

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system
Automotive tire Wood Tread Automotive exterior Gas

·
Registered
551 Posts
Its good you are keeping an eye on your reserve. That will change for sure if there is a leak. Check the level the next morning, when its fully cooled down.

·
Premium Member
4,116 Posts
If you see coolant residue or trace, you have a leak. It maybe temp sensitive but it is a sign of a future failure.

Properly pressure testing a system does not cause future failures.

Good lord. You are towing an unthinkable amount of weight behind a Grand. You do understand that towing capacities are grossly over rated and that tongue weight, weight, weight of passengers and cargo in the vehicle itself reduce your towing capacity. Correct? Let alone, what you loaded into the trailer.

People that sell RVs are dishonest. People that sell new cars are also. Add that to the people that want to haul a 35 foot RV with a Prius......

·
My Reality Check Bounced
19,133 Posts
Some folks routinely tow 7000 pounds cross country with properly set up with WDH and well balanced loading. The 2014 Overland V8 is rated for 7200 to 7400 pounds GTW. 6000 pounds is loafing :). But it is more than trailer GTW. The payload rating is low so you have to be careful about loading up cargo inside, let alone passengers. But thats consistant with how MOPAR does trailer ratings across the board.

Its not so much the trailer weight but its size combined with the WK2 short wheelbase that can make for a tiring drive, one that is constantly on the alert for and correcting for changes in wind. Someting not mentioned in the owners manual.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts