Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 354 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Im 17 and I Just traded my 01 Dodge ram for a 97 Tj and I love the jeep. The jeep is 13 years old now and I have done more upgrades in the week I've owned it in those previous 13 years. So far i painted fender flares black again(turned out great). I also painted the chrome headlight bezzel or whatever it is. I put on a flowmaster 44 muffler and I made a custom Cold air intake. My birthday is Friday June 18th and i plan on getting a 4 inch lift with my bday money. Should i go long arm? I tried to post pics so hopefully everyone can see them. Tell me what you think

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,541 Posts
A long arm will cost you a ton of money, and you will need an SYE and a new driveshaft. You will also probably have to have a shop reroute the exhaust to go around the arms. Look into something like a 2.5" lift and a 1" BL. Get rid of the CAI, it does not add any power, and it allows in more dirt. The flowmaster does help the sound though.

Good luck with the Jeep. Upload the images somewhere and post them. I can quote you so that they show up click free.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok thanks, what about a 4 inch lift without long arms? the kit comes with everything you need. Also, the CAI seems to make a difference in sound quality of exhaust and acceleration. I will leave it for a couple weeks and see the difference.

·
Premium Member
8,541 Posts
Looks great. The pics show now.

As for the 4" lift, which one are you looking at? Long Arm > Short Arm (except for the Currie 4" SA which is top notch).

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, and i am looking at the skyjacker short arm or long arm. I also forgot to mention, I am thinking about painting wheels black, any advise?:)

·
Premium Member
8,541 Posts
Scuff with 120 Grit and paint with gun metal gray (trust me, such a sexy color). Hit it with 2 coats of primer first.

As for the Skyjacker, their quality is regarded as a bit shoddy for the Jeep stuff. For about the same price, check this out:
Currie Johnny Joints Suspension TJ LJ antirock

Contact Gerald (his username is Savvy) on this forum. You will also need a good set of shocks, but talking to Gerald will set you straight as far as what will suit your needs best.

·
Premium Member
8,541 Posts
Gun Metal Gray can be pretty dark. Check the can that you get. Charcoal Gray also looks good. I just think the black won't look as good as the dark grays against that green paint. It is a very nice color btw.

Also, black shoe dye on the tires will turn the white to black.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey luck, you seem to know alot about what you are talkin about so i need advice. When i first got the jeep, i had to leave it in 4th on the highway because 5th couldnt maintain highway speed(no power). I upgraded exhaust and intake and now i can maintain speed, i want a little more power tho, i have been looking into a throttle body spacer and have heard great things about those, what do you think? is it a power issue or a gearing issue?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok I plan on doing the wheel painting this weekend or next week sometime. I will just go with you on the gun metal.:cheers2: Thanks for the color comp, i like the green, its a good outdoors color.:laugh:

·
Premium Member
8,541 Posts
I don't know what gears you have, but I am assuming it is 3.07. You can find out by reading the little metal tag on the differential (the big thing on the axle).

The problem with a throttle body spacer for a 4.0L is that the intake manifold only brings in air. The increase gap will do nothing for power or efficiency, nothing at all. They do work very well in many other vehicles that do mix fuel and air there though. This IS a gearing issue. Heck, yesterday (now since it is 2am here) I was name reigning ratio expert as a joke by arguably the forum's most respected member.

If the numbers I am looking at are right, you are right about 1600 rpm at 65 mph (that is if and only if my assumptions are right). If that is true, you are geared way to high. That would put 4th at just over 2000 RPM which is not so bad, but could be better. Proper gearing will actually keep the engine from lugging, and will maximize efficiency.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, people with tj's often say the throttle body spacer helps with low end and mid acceleration so idk if that would even help the problem. The numbers you are saying sound about right, So you are saying upgrade to steeper gears or what?I do know quite a bit about cars as i am in my 4th year of Auto Mechanics and plan to go off to Laramie to Wyotech to become ASE certified so i understand the terms if you have to get technical. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
8,541 Posts
Lower gearing will help immensely. Regearing is not cheap though, it will cost about $1200 +/- $250. You could find a set of junk yard axles from a 4-cyl that will have 4.10 which would make it MUCH better for much less than regearing.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ya, i eventualy wanted to get 4.10's anyhow. So i would need to replace the whole axle because i doubt the 4.10's could fit in the differential housing on my axle. And if so, i would need fron and rear axle's with 4.10's.:fear:

·
Premium Member
8,541 Posts
4.10s will fit in the diff, but it will need a new carrier since you have a 3.07. The carrier break is 3.73 for the d35 iirc, and I believe it is the same for the d30 (I am not 100% sure there, but all that matters is the need for a new carrier). You can get axles from the JY for basically what parts cost, and you can throw them in with basic hand tools. The only thing you can align on a TJ is the toe (for a stock Jeep. Jeeps with adjustable arms are different). The toe can be adjusted with a tape measure in 10 minutes.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
alright, sounds like i have some JY searching to do. So with the 4.10's what do you think the rpm/mph ratio would be then? since you are the ratio expert. lol

·
Premium Member
8,541 Posts
If you are running 31"s you will be at ~2300 RPM at 65mph which works very well for the 4.0L. At 55mph, that goes to just about 2k which is still pretty nice. Your Jeep will drive much better with the 4.10 gears.

Edit: You have:

AX-15 Transmission
NP 231 Transfer Case
Inline 6 4.0L Engine

I use this site to check gear ratios, you input the numbers you want and click calculate: http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

1 - 20 of 354 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.