Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting really sick of replacing radiators.

I bought my 2015 JK new in august of that year, and in late 2019 the stock radiator started leaking between the plastic tank and the aluminum fins. I replaced that radiator with an AFE aluminum one, because I never wanted to replace it again. That one had a huge leak right out of the box, and they were out of stock for 4 months, so Quadratec swapped me for a Griffin. In December of 2020 that one started leaking too, so I warrantied it for another Griffin. Here we are 4 months later, and there is coolant on the garage floor again. I was too frustrated to look at it last night, but I have no reason to think I won't be installing the 5th radiator in this stupid thing.

What's going on? Do I just have horrible luck? I'm pretty nice to my JK (don't wheel it hard, no accidents) and I've got less than 70k miles on it.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did a bit of research, and it sort of seems like it's a flexing/mounting issue, and the all aluminum radiators (which should be more reliable!) fail all the time. I'm going to try this on the next warranty radiator:

https://www.jkowners.com/threads/st...jkur-392-with-getrag-238.381360/#post-4442272

An expensive replacement part should come with whatever it needs to perform better than OE, but if this keeps me from having to replace yet ANOTHER radiator I'm all for it.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I don't know about the flexing issue either, but... I have to try something! I bought an all aluminum radiator because I wanted something that would last a lifetime, which is obviously not close to what I got. I'm 3/4 tempted to get an OE radiator and do the spring mod up top. I just have trouble believing plastic can be better than metal.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I wanted to use a SS shoulder bolt since alloy steel shoulder bolts are mostly unplated, and the sleeve bearings he bought were too rich for my blood. This is what I bought:

90265A157 18-8 Stainless Steel Shoulder Screw 8 mm Shoulder Diameter, 50 mm Shoulder Length, M6 x 1 mm Thread: qty 2
6294K437 Dry-Running MDS-Filled Nylon Sleeve Bearing Light Duty, Flanged, for 5/16" Shaft Diameter, 1/2" Long: qty 2
9435K132 302 Stainless Steel Corrosion-Resistant Compression Springs 1.5" Long, 0.6" OD, 0.474" ID: qty 2

I think I'm going cut down those springs I have, because I think they're too stiff and there will be quite a bit of preload once installed. You just knock the sleeve out of the bushing that's on there now and install these in their place.

My new replacement radiator came from Quadratec today, but I won't be installing it because it's used!! Very used, and there's sticks and stuff in it! I've had good luck with Quadratec in the past, but this is really frustrating, especially since my Jeep has been off the road since then. I'll probably have to drive it tomorrow :brickwall

Attachments

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
... Well, it seems that I started this thread 9 months ago, which means that's how long this latest radiator lasted. I haven't taken the radiator fan off to look to see where radiator #5 is leaking from (too depressed!), but I'm sure it's the joint between the fins and side tanks, just like all the others. :cry:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.