Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
981 - 1000 of 1009 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am old enough to have owned 12 jeeps in my life.

My favorite was a FSJ 1979 cherokee chief that could climb out of any mud hole i could get into..

A few years back I came across a disabled american veterans charity auction and picked up a 1972 wagoneer.

Family donated it after the dad passed away.

Little more domesticated but still a jeep.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
1986 Corps of Engineers GW

So through a bit of luck and some work I ended up with this '86 Grand Wagoneer that was originally an Army Corps of Engineers vehicle. I've had a really hard time tracing the military pedigree. I can't even find any easy records to show what nonmilitary vehicles the Army bought, and I can't find an article, post, or even image of another Grand Wagoneer in ACE yellow. It still has the DOD placards in the glove box, and is downtone everything - which is rare in itself for a GW. Manual windows, locks, etc. Vinyl seats and floors. Less chrome than average, and zero wood siding. Previous owner(s) have invested heavily in it. It has ARB lockers front & rear, ATLAS II transfer case, Chevy small block swap with Turbo 400 trannie, dual fuel tanks, and a lift.

Unfortunately it's suffered from the weather (apparently in Montana). It looks like more damage from sitting in the snow/rain than from driving, as the drip rails and lower A-pillars are suffering from body cancer, but the fenders are solid. I'd love to get it back onto the road, but the motor seems to be dead at this point, and I'm going to have to jump through hoops to get a CARB-approval for whatever motor I put in it here in California. If it were just the body cancer or the engine it wouldn't be too bad, but I don't know when I'm ever going to have the time or money to get this rare beast back on the road. I want to see it restored and appreciated, not just patched up and clad with faux wood for a quick profit, but when I mention the drip rails and A-pillars, body shops won't even return my calls.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,125 Posts
My 1981 J20.

I saw it sitting by the road on the coastal highway along the North coast of Jawa near Probolingo late at night as I was steaming past in my XJ Cherokee. I slammed on the brakes and left a note.

It became mine 8 years ago. Since then I have carried out a lot of work to bring it back including mending the broken ring and pinion, new brakes and a whole new exterior and interior.

It is one of a handful of extended cab pickups that I have been able to find, this one has been "coachbuilt' in indonesia.

Attachments

Reactions: 83Honcho

·
Registered
60 Posts
(11-07-2016) My first time here, guys. Got this Cherokee on Craigslist for $1000. its rock solid (no rust anywhere), has a 401 in it, seats look AWESOME, has the MileMarker 2x4 conversion installed. My first task is to get it through smog. long term plans are to put 31x10.50's all the way around paint the rims, and just generally clean it up really nice. I may flip it (if I can get it though smog). I have all the seats but the back seat and passenger seat are sitting in my garage. I bought it from a guy that had it since 1982! I love it and my sons loves it even more but if I cant get it through smog, it will be awash.
Wow. I have had my turd for 5 years?! I pretty much live over on IFSJA.org. I have build thread over there, too: My build thread on IFSJA
I was wrong about "no rust anywhere", the flares are toast. It has passed smog 3 times. I rebuilt the engine twice (it's warmed over and EFI'ed now), rebuilt the Quadratrac about 4 times, rebuilt the rear D44, swapped out the bent chassis, and a ton of other work. The rims are American Racing D-Windows (Craigslist) but have a set of factory Jeep black center caps on them from an 80's J10 (I absolutely love them). Tires are 285/75/16 (about 33"). It has about 3" of lift at this point but the suspension is a hodge podge of parts so it's hard to tell for sure. I painted the grill to match BJs offroad logo; the chrome parts (other than the outer trim) were painted gloss black and the grey parts are flat black. Interior is pretty much all original but cleaned other than the new carpet, a center console from a 90's Olds, and I added power seat bottoms from a later Wagoneer. I daily drive it and have a blast with this thing! At this point I am probably about $6.5K into it and more man hours than went into building the pyramids.

Attachments

Reactions: NaturalState4x4

·
Registered
1979 Cherokee Chief S
539 Posts
We picked up a ‘79 Cherokee S two weeks ago. Been looking for years and was feeling sick watching the prices creep up and up and the availability lessen. This one came up in Phoenix and convinced my wife to pick it up. It’s really just old and run down, doesn’t run, but hope to get it going so the whole family can go wheeling again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
I love the old wide tracks. I have a Cherokee Cheif if I could. But my wife would kill me if I brought another vehicle home. Sucks having the means but not the permission.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Just brought home our second Jeep, as our '81 CJ5 was a bit lonely :)

Looking forward to lots of help on this one, as it is mostly intact like PO just turned off the key, and could not get back to it.

Mechanicals will be the easy part, as interior and paint look to be where most of the work will be needed, so FSJ peeps keep your eyes peeled for my flares going up!

'84 Grand Wagoneer,
401 ci with 2,000 miles on rebuild, but not running for 10 years give or take a few as owner had life get in the way, so unable to continue with restore as planned. Best part is engine is free and turns by hand, oil on stick looks good, and everything is intact like he just shut the key off and never got back to it. Hopeful it will fire off when we get to it.
MC2100 carb - needs rebuild
Auto,
4 inch lift (higher arch springs as originals are in the spare parts collection in the back),
A/C,
a bunch of spare parts and paperwork files related to the truck.
31x10.50x16 near rotting off the rims with original aluminum all around and steel wagon wheel spare we had to put on to move it.

Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
60 Posts
... Can't wait to throw some rims and tires on. And fresh paint later to come.
PLEASE DO NOT PAINT THAT!!!! It looks amazing the way it is! Are you on IFSJA.org? I think the front wheels and tires are perfect. If you can get new tires like that, you are golden. Such an amazing truck!!!!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
PLEASE DO NOT PAINT THAT!!!! It looks amazing the way it is! Are you on IFSJA.org? I think the front wheels and tires are perfect. If you can get new tires like that, you are golden. Such an amazing truck!!!!
Are you on IFSJA.org?
To interject - I have been trying for a month to get approved in IFSJA, so I can do more that read only, and every time I try to reply to a thread, I get the below message.

devildog80, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
  1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

I have written request to administration twice to see about getting account activated, with no response.

Can anybody help?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Are you on IFSJA.org?
To interject - I have been trying for a month to get approved in IFSJA, so I can do more that read only, and every time I try to reply to a thread, I get the below message.

Can anybody help?
Yep! I can! I am an admin on there. Is your user name the same? I had the same problem when I joined in 2016. There is one guy that approves accounts and he almost never logs on anymore. This SHOULD change for the better in the coming months.

981 - 1000 of 1009 Posts