Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
961 - 980 of 1009 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, Im back after a 6 year hiatus. My previous Jeep was a 1987 with 90k miles on it that I bought for $1k and dumped about $9k in it, with me doing the work, less painting it. Things got tight, so the toy had to go.

I picked this 1988 up back in January with 75k miles. Needs a little massaging here and there, but overall in nice shape. Building my to do list. So far it needs: AC charged (compressor turns on thankfully), multifunction signal/cruise switch, hood insulation, driver door gasket, cargo/tailgate area carpet if I can find it, if not I guess its the full kit, headliner kit, dome light lens, fuel level send unit and Ill be replacing the wood eventually to make it perfect as its original. I guess its a decent sized list, but she is close to 30. Anywho, happy to be back in the land of FSJ's. Cheers from NC.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just getting started

We just picked up this J2000 needs Lots of TLC so I will be looking for parts and pieces. especially grille valance and tail light sections will need replacement.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi all!

Just joined.

Here is a heartbreaking photo of the end of Beyouncy (she had a really stiff suspension). I had spent hundreds of hours working on her and was just at a point where I felt she could be trusted to go anywhere. Anyway, there was some weird traffic, and my girl rolled it. I got back from a 2 hour run that day and came home to her looking horrified on the stairs to the house. My first thought was "I am SO HAPPY you are OK, it's just a car". My second thought was "this kind of sucks, me and that truck were bonded". My third thought was to hang out with my girl.

The plan all along was to get Beyouncy to be mechanically awesome, then find a donor body. Went on ebay that night and wound up finding a great wag down the road, wound up winning the auction. It was well cared for, well maintained, and not a spot of rust. Coming from the rust belt, every bolt is a challenge. Not so with this new one. The frame still has paint, the hitch still has the decal. So picked up Weeeee Gone! and got a spot at a DIY garage to transplant the necessary parts (motor and everything attached to it, and tires.

Since then, she says I should thank her for not dying, and also for moving my project along. :) My buddy said - "Well, it only took two motors and a completely totaled truck to get this plan in motion!"

This truck is great. Just took her out on a 2,000 mile proving run and not even a moment of scary.

The engine I pulled is in the garage, will be a winter project. Never rebuilt an engine before and will be a good way to spend the rainy season.

·
Registered
13 Posts
After searching high and low for a true survivor I found my 1980 Wagoneer Limited it had hail damage so I picked it up for a song and paid a guy $800 for an awesome PDR job and now you honestly cant tell it was ever hit by any hail. I went with a 2" BJ's lift (which is only 1" over stock lift for the 80) and 31 BFG KO2's. I've keep it nearly stock. It's my daily driver but Im not a commuter so low miles on it every year.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just keep ending up with Jeeps. Started with a 59 Willys p/u in high school, then a CJ-5, then a 67 Wagoneer, and now the BGT (Big Green Truck). Bought this from a high school kid in Sacramento. Somebody dropped a 327 Chevy in it and ran the exhaust where the drive shaft should be. I cleared the way with dual exhaust and got a drive shaft--presto, 4WD. Since then I have had the interior done (mostly), converted to front disc brakes and added power steering. Nothing goes wrong with these trucks that money can't fix! I have a gas gauge that works on top of all that!

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Picked this up over the weekend, was listed as a 1990, but i'm pretty sure, based on the taillight design, it's pre-1984. Guess I'll find out exactly when i get the title back. It's rough and will need a lot of TLC and elbow grease, but i'm super excited to get started. Not new to Jeeps, but this will be my first FSJ. Will become a Family camping/road-trip/expedition style rig.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
....a few of shots of my '81 Honcho restomod. The cab is lowered and the body has a very slight forward rake. All of the stripes, chrome and emblems removed. Razor grill. Roll pans. Dash modification combines old with older. Warmed over 360 with T-18/NP208 from an 80s J20. Electric windows and door upholstery from a Wagoneer. The fat Honcho roll bar was removed to fit a full length tilting bed cover. Configured for towing a car trailer. The artist conception photo shows what's possible with some (mostly suspension) surgery...the classic Brooks Stevens design stands up well against the C10 and F100. (Truck is for sale in classified section).

DSCN2691-1 by Rufus, on Flickr
https://live.staticflickr.com/7837/46140093025_cb2861fd63_z.jpg[/im
g][/URL][URL=https://flic.kr/p/2dif3ag]DSCN6044[/URL] by [URL=https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/]Rufus[/URL], on Flickr
[URL=https://flic.kr/p/2i8YTf4][img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49317071723_1d6940e165_z.jpg
DSCN1938 by Rufus, on Flickr
jeeprod1 by Rufus, on Flickr
DSCN1925 by Rufus, on Flickr
DSCN6044 by Rufus, on Flickr

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hello All!

Been away for quite some time. Life took a rough turn and my Jeep obsession took a far back seat. I've climbed back out and can see the sun now... time to have some fun again! I have a few treasures, a fully restored '79 CJ-7, an unrestored and waiting patiently for its turn '78 Wagoneer, and now a wonderful '72 J4000 that my precious wife purchased for me as a surprise! Hoping to get back in the swing, ask some questions, buy some parts (I need a tailgate and rear bumper!), and provide some humble input where I can. Thanks for being Jeep people all y'all! You're the best.

Cheers!

God is good.

Attachments

961 - 980 of 1009 Posts