Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
My first time here, guys. Got this Cherokee on Craigslist for $1000. its rock solid (no rust anywhere), has a 401 in it, seats look AWESOME, has the MileMarker 2x4 conversion installed. My first task is to get it through smog. long term plans are to put 31x10.50's all the way around paint the rims, and just generally clean it up really nice. I may flip it (if I can get it though smog). I have all the seats but the back seat and passenger seat are sitting in my garage. I bought it from a guy that had it since 1982! I love it and my sons loves it even more but if I cant get it through smog, it will be awash.

Attachments

Reactions: AV4x4

·
Registered
62 Posts
YOU SUCK!!!! That's a heck of a find for a grand!!!
Haha!

We'll see! If I can't get it through smog, the wife is going to hang me! Anyone got a 2bbl intake/carb laying around?:wink2:

·
Registered
62 Posts
I do, actually. Well, at least the intake. Granted, it ways about 2 tons and shipping out to what looks to be CA would probably cost an arm and a leg.
thanks for the consideration ChrisHager. I have a call into a guy here locally that may be parting out an 85 GW. There was also a guy in Idaho that may be willing to trade (provided I can come up with a way to exchange them).

Just for reference, I have shipped things with Greyhound Buses before and they are usually really cheap for this kind of stuff. You basically pay about 1/3 the cost of a bus ticket to wherever it is going. You have to bring the box to the Greyhound station and the receiving side has to pick it up at the Greyhound station but for large/heavy items, you can't beat it. I don't have privileges to post links yet but if you google "Ship with Greyhound" you will find their website with more info.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hmmm... It may. I'd be curious to try now. Haha.
I have a message into one more guy here local and if it falls through, I will hit you up Chrishager.

The two larges sizes of flat rate boxes are:
23-11/16" x 11-3/4" x 3"
12" x 12" x 5-1/2"
Last night I measure my intake. If you were to pull the carb studs off, it measures about 21x11x6. So its VERY close to fitting but not quite.

·
Registered
62 Posts
(11-07-2016) My first time here, guys. Got this Cherokee on Craigslist for $1000. its rock solid (no rust anywhere), has a 401 in it, seats look AWESOME, has the MileMarker 2x4 conversion installed. My first task is to get it through smog. long term plans are to put 31x10.50's all the way around paint the rims, and just generally clean it up really nice. I may flip it (if I can get it though smog). I have all the seats but the back seat and passenger seat are sitting in my garage. I bought it from a guy that had it since 1982! I love it and my sons loves it even more but if I cant get it through smog, it will be awash.
Wow. I have had my turd for 5 years?! I pretty much live over on IFSJA.org. I have build thread over there, too: My build thread on IFSJA
I was wrong about "no rust anywhere", the flares are toast. It has passed smog 3 times. I rebuilt the engine twice (it's warmed over and EFI'ed now), rebuilt the Quadratrac about 4 times, rebuilt the rear D44, swapped out the bent chassis, and a ton of other work. The rims are American Racing D-Windows (Craigslist) but have a set of factory Jeep black center caps on them from an 80's J10 (I absolutely love them). Tires are 285/75/16 (about 33"). It has about 3" of lift at this point but the suspension is a hodge podge of parts so it's hard to tell for sure. I painted the grill to match BJs offroad logo; the chrome parts (other than the outer trim) were painted gloss black and the grey parts are flat black. Interior is pretty much all original but cleaned other than the new carpet, a center console from a 90's Olds, and I added power seat bottoms from a later Wagoneer. I daily drive it and have a blast with this thing! At this point I am probably about $6.5K into it and more man hours than went into building the pyramids.

Attachments

Reactions: NaturalState4x4

·
Registered
62 Posts
... Can't wait to throw some rims and tires on. And fresh paint later to come.
PLEASE DO NOT PAINT THAT!!!! It looks amazing the way it is! Are you on IFSJA.org? I think the front wheels and tires are perfect. If you can get new tires like that, you are golden. Such an amazing truck!!!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Are you on IFSJA.org?
To interject - I have been trying for a month to get approved in IFSJA, so I can do more that read only, and every time I try to reply to a thread, I get the below message.

Can anybody help?
Yep! I can! I am an admin on there. Is your user name the same? I had the same problem when I joined in 2016. There is one guy that approves accounts and he almost never logs on anymore. This SHOULD change for the better in the coming months.

·
Registered
62 Posts
they look awesome!!! Are you stoked on them? Oh my, SUCH A GOOD LOOKIN TRUCK!!! That looks like Los Alamitos area? No?

i don’t have the VIN decoder for that early (mine is only good for the late 70’s) but usually it’s not really sequential. There a few guys on ifsja that will know for Sure.

If yoU PM me over there I can help you get settled in.

·
Registered
62 Posts
AWESOME!!! What area do you live?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts