Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Wow...that's nasty! Thanks for sharing.

Rich

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Ear plugs or a welding cap that covers an ear can save you a lot of pain when welding too. A couple months ago a guy I was brother in lawing a weld with took two sparks in his ear, and ended up rupturing it.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Many years ago, I was under a vehicle mig welding. I didn't have ear plugs in, which is very rare for me. A red hot spatter ball shot in into my ear and landed what appeared to bounce right on and off of my ear drum, unobstructed. I heard it go "bong" off the eardrum membrane.

Seconds later the pain was excruciating. Fortunately, there was no hearing loss that I'm aware of, anyway.

So, Steve, I can appreciate your BIL's dilemma...

Rich

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Should also have extra PPE for visitors and helpers so that they do not get injured.
QFT.
we keep 4-6 pairs of 3m safety glasses as well as extra ear pro, gloves, rubber/foam mats, and have an extra gas mask with extra fresh cartridges and I have a few coal miner emergency air filter things with the nose clips that you use like a divers mouthpiece. Still working on the extra stuff but ya gots to have the moneys to gets it first ;-)

Sent from wherever I got lost going to.. uhh, is anyone there?

·
Registered
333 Posts
I remember when I used to work in a plastic welding/fabrication shop many moons ago. I was rushing while drilling. It was cold and although I never wore gloves while working with the drills, saws etc., I was wearing a long sleeve shirt under a short sleeved T. And not a loose fitting one either but the long john style. Well needless to say I was holding the top of whatever it was I was drilling in place with one arm and drilling with the other. I pulled the drill across my arm before it came to a complete stop. My finger wasn't even on the trigger. It was a large drill and just the momentum caught my shirt right at the forearm and wound it along with my skin up around the large bit. Didn't feel great.

I never ever rush in the workshop with any of my tools. I got a painful reminder just the other day with a hammer and my thumb. It just pays to stop and think about things that extra second. But accidents do happen.

·
Registered
333 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,724 Posts
Also, I ALWAYS wear safety glasses or goggles when working with anything. It's just smart.

One product that really helps me out is this stuff: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001JR4CIO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I tend to get really frustrated with fogged up safety glasses and especially goggles and this is the ONLY product I've used that really works.

Just my .02 cents.
$17/oz for anti-fog yikes. How long does it last between applications?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Watch when putting a garage door back in its track. I was prying the roller back into place this summer (like Ive done many times before) and it ripped loose from the door. The bracket hit me in the forehead / nose. Punched a hole through my skull, fractured it across my face to my ear, totally destroyed my nose, cut through my eyelid and on and on. I now have a steel plate in my head and a new titanium nose to show for it. I never dreamed they were under that much tension.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
You are absolutely right!! Garage doors are VERY DANGEROUS!!

Years ago, I had an experience with one that was a very close call. After reading your story, I am very fortunate that I just got a small cut across my cheek that is almost completely unnoticeable.

That happened quite a few years ago. But, just last summer, I arrived home from work at midnight (second shift).

I got out of my open jeep, opened the garage door manually, drove in, and shut the door manually.

In a split second, I heard a loud "TWANG" sound, and instinctively ducked. One of the long door springs actually snapped at the end where the eyelet is formed.

The spring flew right by my head. If it had hit me, I'd probably be dead.

When the garage door company came to do the repair, I paid $35.00 extra to have safety cables run through the center of the springs, so that if they ever broke again, the safety cable would keep the spring suspended overhead.

I am very sorry that you had that happen to you...if you don't mind sharing, what is your prognosis?

Rich

·
Registered
7 Posts
Good question and where do I start? I never lost consciousness but I have no memory of what happened. I know I was working on the door because thats where the blood trail started :)

It is one of those crazy ending stories. Ive had life long sinus and nasal problems. During the surgery my doc was able to repair my sinuses (through the hole in my head) build me an unobstructed nose, and the reconstructive surgery took all the wrinkles out of my forehead... So all good so far right? :highfive:
Now I do have scars, my eye lid droops and I forgot in my original post smashed knuckles in my hand. I missed 9 weeks work at my real job but during that time I still was able to do light farm work and work around the house. My doctor did tell me over and over how I was millimeters away from loosing my eye and or my life. All things considered I was very luck and my wife says stubborn too.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Well, it sounds like you've got a good attitude, and that you were actually lucky (considering...).

Thank you for sharing...

Rich

BTW...we have similar usernames!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Glad it turned out okay. I have had the garage door springs break 3 times on my door but fortunately the springs remain in place, just can't open the heavy a$$ door. I actually learned how to replace them and you always want to release the tension on the springs before working on the roller system. I know, little late for that but maybe it will save someone else.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Last year I was using a cut off wheel to cut doors off of a cherokee I was building and the cut off wheel broke off and flew threw my knee and bounced around the garage. Didn't feel a thing at first, I was more nervous about the cut off wheel flying back around to catch me again.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Glad it turned out okay. I have had the garage door springs break 3 times on my door but fortunately the springs remain in place, just can't open the heavy a$$ door. I actually learned how to replace them and you always want to release the tension on the springs before working on the roller system. I know, little late for that but maybe it will save someone else.
Agreed. The more people that know how dangerous they are the better. I always knew but Never dreamed they were that bad.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Working in industrial construction and maintenance I just shudder reading about these 'accidents'. With no disrespect intended there is no such thing as an accident other than a volcano or weather event or meteor strike....All other events are preventable because of lessons learned from previous events. As a supervisor I call someone out on an unsafe practice and get "I've done it this way for 20 years". Perfect...You've done it wrong for 20 and you're not going down on my watch.
Now to get more on topic for the forum. Go nuts doing whatever you want at home. Please please read the literature that comes with tools that you are unfamiliar with. The guy with the zip cut blade in his face wasn't wearing a face shield....MAYBE the manual that came with the grinder stated wear safety glasses/goggles. OK great wouldn't of helped there. BUT guaranteed it said do not operate without the blade guard in place. Can't see how that much blade enters the face (goes under the skin to his ear) if guard was attached. Not familiar with the equipment? No information for safe use? No time to do it right?...No chance for a good outcome!!!!

41 - 60 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.