Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '97 Tj with the 2.5L, Auto (3 speed), has right at 168,xxx miles...I'm the 3rd owner (been mine for 5 years or so now). I don't think it has had shocks replaced ever...I am in the process of replacing the front end equipment (ball joints, arms, etc), because, again, it hasn't been done in who knows how long if ever. It is a ride around, grab ice cream with the family, play in the mud when it floods, in the snow or ice when we get some here in central, AL...really don't take it out crawling, or mudding.

I'm planning towards the future, (son is 9, and wanting to have something to "play with" as he gets older). I am currently running 30x9.5x15 tires wrapped around Gen 1 Welds (super light rims).

Would a 2" lift look out of place on it? Go with a little larger tire? I've been looking at BDS Suspension 2" lift set up...would that be a direct replacement from stock, or would I have to modify some additional items? I'd prefer a smoother type ride on the road, again, don't get off road to much...

Or should I just go back with a stock ride hight?

Other question is this, the boots on shocks, are they replaceable? I've read and read on them, they get a lot of love and hate, I get that...but my Jeep is a dark blue, and I was wanting to add some neon green to it (son's favorite color)...
Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Car Automotive side marker light

·
Disturbed Jeepaholic
41,895 Posts
If those are 30" tires, it looks like it already has a small lift. Get the green shock boots when you buy new shocks.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Looks like a 2” lift?? Truth be told, I’ve never really paid it much attention, but wanting to swap out the shocks made me start considering it…this is a collage of when I bought it (33’s), headed to Paint with current tires and rims…the 33’s weren’t horrible, but sucked what little bit of rubber band power it had…

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Sahara Edition #603
1,090 Posts
Replace your bumpstop... should help with ride on bad bumps and probably save your shocks some damage.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, looking at either Bilstein 5100 or BDS NX2 Nitro shocks? Thoughts? Input?

·
Disturbed Jeepaholic
41,895 Posts
Ok, looking at either Bilstein 5100 or BDS NX2 Nitro shocks? Thoughts? Input?
Bilsteins are stiff and the BDS are somewhat better. Look into the Rancho RS5000X and Skyjacker Black Max hydro shocks (soft ride).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts