Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited 4.7. I put new tires on it and it started getting really loose while driving. It happens while accelerating and deceleration. I’ve had the tires rechecked for balance and they are fine. Also had the alignment done. I took off the front driveshaft and it’s better but still does it. Do I have a bad transfer case? Please help.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
If this started immediately after new tires were installed, I would have the tire shop check for runout of the tires; checking the tread and sidewalls. An out of round, or otherwise defective tire, can balance just fine, but do strange things when actually rolling down the road. Does the problem go away if you switch the front tires to the rear? If so, then one of the tires that came from the front is bad. It could be that a belt shifted inside the tire while it was being molded.

·
Mopar Nut
586 Posts
If it wasn't there before the new tires, it's definitely the tires. Otherwise rear control arm bushings can produce the shimmy I think you are describing. Mine did that. Light throttle as in kickdown from OD on an incline @ say 35mph, and she would make a slight but sudden drift right. Let off the throttle, she would settle back to the left.

Reactions: fxer82 and Harold21

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If this started immediately after new tires were installed, I would have the tire shop check for runout of the tires; checking the tread and sidewalls. An out of round, or otherwise defective tire, can balance just fine, but do strange things when actually rolling down the road. Does the problem go away if you switch the front tires to the rear? If so, then one of the tires that came from the front is bad. It could be that a belt shifted inside the tire while it was being molded.
Thank you for your feedback guys. I’ve had them checked out twice with Discount Tire where I bought them and they said they are perfect. I’ll try to convince them by driving it again but they think it was that way before the new tires of course. Couldn’t be needing new differential fluid?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Thank you for your feedback guys. I’ve had them checked out twice with Discount Tire where I bought them and they said they are perfect. I’ll try to convince them by driving it again but they think it was that way before the new tires of course. Couldn’t be needing new differential fluid?
Thanks!
Ask DT to tell you what is causing your car to shimmy..
If DT can't tell you what makes your car shimmy when you accelerate, then it's back to the your new tires.

Some ideas here: -

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
Replace your transmission mount. A new one on mine made quite an improvement.

Reactions: Harold21
1 - 8 of 8 Posts