Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Shifter Linkage Bushing Failure

5314 Views 9 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  USMCTJ
Hello everyone,

Yesterday, my shifter disconnected from my transmission (42RLE) in my 2006 LJ.

After hopping on WF this morning, I went to O'Reilly's and picked up the Dorman Help! #14041 kit of bushings. It supposedly only fits up to the 2005 Wrangler, but I picked it up anyway.

The trouble is, I can't get the damned bushing popped in. So, after hopping back on the forums, I discover I had been reading about shift linkage bushing failures on the transmission side, not the cab side, as mine is. I assume the bearing is the same, but it's impossible to get any leverage because of the shaft in the way. I have read about possibly needing to remove the console to do this properly, but haven't come across a write-up on how to do so.

To worsen the matter, I'm unsure if I'm using the right sized bushing from the kit. I can only get the second largest bearing to fit on the nipple, but it pops back off with any pull whatsoever. It could be that the next size down fits with more leverage/lubrication, or, as I read elsewhere, even the smallest bushing. I'm afraid of using too loose a bushing and having the problem repeat itself.

So,
  1. Do any of these bushings work on 2006s? If so, which?
  2. Do I need to remove the center console to fix it?

I know this is a fairly common problem, so I'm sure some of you, likely many of you, have fixed this problem before.

I would greatly appreciate any help. :)
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Tied and True

Update:

First off, I was incorrect, it was on the transmission selector that the bushing failed. It seems obvious now, but so it goes. :)

Secondly, I could not get any of the bushings to fit. The smallest was very close, I even tried some WD-40, hairdryer, a hammer...no dice. So, I resorted to plan b, and zip-tied it.

:2thumbsup:

Thanks for the great information here on the forums, I would've been lost otherwise!

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE:​

I performed the fix posted by Best4x4 on Monday of this week (9/26/16), the only difference being that I used an angle grinder to remove the nipple's weld on the top side of the bracket, using 1/4" bolt and nut instead of 3/8".

The shifter feels much more solid than it has while I've owned the Jeep (8K miles or so), with no slippage between gears on the selector whatsoever, as there was previously. I hope it holds well, and will report back if I have any issues.

Thanks to ravenworks and mukluk for the help, I appreciate it!

· Registered
8,060 Posts
UPDATE:​
the only difference being that I used an angle grinder to remove the nipple's weld on the top side of the bracket, using 1/4" bolt and nut instead of 3/8".
You need to use the 3/8"s pin and then use a sleeve that goes over the pin along with the two bushings.
From there you will need to drill the cable end a fraction to enable it to accept the sleeve and bushing.
The eye on the cable end will want to walk the way you did it, that's the reason he redid what he originally did.
When that cable breaks it's going to be expensive.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.