Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do WKs have a shifter interlock solenoid cable? I’m trying to find the part online with no luck.
Thanks

·
Registered
511 Posts
They have a solenoid, not a cable

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there a connection between the solenoid and brake pedal that enables the Jeep to shift out of park?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Is there a connection between the solenoid and brake pedal that enables the Jeep to shift out of park?
Yes, but I don't know if it's a direct connection or computer controlled.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When it’s cold out, my Jeep won’t shift out of park until it warms up for a few minutes. I hear clicking in the dash when I try to shift. That’s why I was wondering if there was something that’s failing that runs from the brake pedal to the shifter.

·
Registered
511 Posts
What transmission do you have?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you very much for the information.
I will take a look at the document you sent and try to fix the issue.
I'll let you know how it goes!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Do you have a direct link for that document? It's very small and difficult to read.
I didn't realize how much it scaled the quality down. It used to be available on WKJeeps, not sure if it still is

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Didn’t notice anything with the shift interlock cable. The issue did happen again on Sunday. When I was trying to shift out of park, I paid closer attention to where the clicking noise behind the dash was coming from and it was coming from behind where the key was inserted. Even though the engine is running, maybe the vehicle isn’t recognizing the key position which allows shifting out of park?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Didn't notice anything with the shift interlock cable. The issue did happen again on Sunday. When I was trying to shift out of park, I paid closer attention to where the clicking noise behind the dash was coming from and it was coming from behind where the key was inserted. Even though the engine is running, maybe the vehicle isn't recognizing the key position which allows shifting out of park?
It could be a problem with the Ignition cylinder itself. I know they're somewhat fragile. I've attached the pages for the interlock cable where it attaches to the key cylinder.

The other possibility is that solenoid I spoke of. I haven't been able to spot it in the massive service manual, but I believe that's the one that is responsible for unlocking the shifter when the brake is pressed, and the cable itself is for locking the shifter in park when the vehicle is off

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts