Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy

Lost my shift indicating light in the console this weekend, also my OD on off switch doesn't light up.

Pretty sure these happened at the same time, but can't swear to it. I KNOW the OD switch light was working, because I had it off due to the snow we've had here in the past week...

I know the switch is working because it Still shows the icon on the dashboard.

So, are these two lighting issues related? Do they use the same bulb in the console, or just a coincidence?

And has anyone had to change either/both of these? Tips or tricks?

Hoss

·
5,570 Posts
I don't have the OD lamp but did have to change the shift indicator. You got to pull the transfer case shift knob which is a huge PITA. I replaced the lamp with an LED lamp. Pull the console screws, remove t case shift knob, raise console and replace lamp.

·
Premium Member
10,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thajks Cran...Does the tcase shift knob really just 'pull off'??

And I don't see any screws?

Hoss

·
5,570 Posts
It does just pull off. There is a notch in the shaft and the knob has a matching detent. Some say they twist off, mine didn't. I ended up using a ratchet strap around the sport bar/sound bar with both hooks under the knob, in 4 Lo and cranked on it. Pro Tip: put a towel or something over it as it can fly quite a distance, especially if the top is off.

Reactions: JoonHoss

·
Premium Member
10,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Just a quick update, shifter knob does pull right off, with some effort!

Console detaches super easily, and a slight bit of finesse gets it up and over the shifter and ebrake.. but no screws!

2721 bulb, tiny little guy. Assuming the original one had never been changed, it was a different shape than the Sylvania one which replaced it, but still works just fine.

No luck on The OD button light, though the button definitely still works, and the dash still illuminates when it's turned off. I can deal with that one as is

Hoss

·
Registered
9,036 Posts
The shift indicator has never lit up on my console, even when new. I use the dash indicator but now that I see this thread I can’t stop thinking about it.

·
Premium Member
10,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was (for me) a 3 minute task, barring the purchase of the bulb and research. I way over-thought it...even removing the tcase knob was fairly straightforward, I pulled up while slightly twisting it back and forth just a tiny bit.

I never realized how much of a difference it made until I did not have it.

Yes, the dash still shows it, but its nice to have it working again.

Hoss

·
5,570 Posts
It was (for me) a 3 minute task, barring the purchase of the bulb and research. I way over-thought it...even removing the tcase knob was fairly straightforward, I pulled up while slightly twisting it back and forth just a tiny bit.

I never realized how much of a difference it made until I did not have it.

Yes, the dash still shows it, but its nice to have it working again.

Hoss
Glad it worked out. I wish my TCase knob was as easy as yours turned out to be. I had to pull mine last week to replace the TCase shifter bushing and it was harder to pull than the first couple of times.

·
Registered
9,036 Posts
Sorry Buddy! @Prot

(Did you at least have one on your previous one?):giggle:

Hoss
Yep, my POS 2007 JKU had an overdrive off button.

My 2014 doesn’t, but it does have the bump up / down gear function. I just went over 102,000 miles last week. It’s infinitely better than my 2007 was. I am hoping to get seven more years out if it but the mileage is starting to make me nervous. That being said, the pricing on the new JL’s is stupid, so that’s more motivation to keep soldiering on with the 2014. Besides, they don’t make copperhead pearl anymore.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts