Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed today that the Selec-Terrain in my 2011 GC Limited has no power. When I turn the knob, nothing happens and I get no readout on the dash. I didn't see a fuse for the unit listed in the book. Wondering if I'm missing a simple fix. Ideas?

Thanks! Bill

·
My Reality Check Bounced
19,792 Posts
There are a couple power or drive train control fuses to check. J11, perhaps J18, M28, M33.

I think you should be getting a MIL or service needed message lit up. I'll check the FSM later.

·
My Reality Check Bounced
19,792 Posts
"The terrain select switch is used to communicate driver commands of various vehicle control systems related to vehicle ride height, traction, and stability control. The switch includes an Auto setting and a Neutral setting. The switch communicates with the Cabin Compartment Node (CCN) via a LIN Bus. The CCN sends information related to the terrain select switch via the CAN Interior bus."

I would suspect a switch problem vs a fuse (it is the J11 fuse). It is the Drive Train Control module that takes the console switch inputs.

·
My Reality Check Bounced
19,792 Posts
Looks like M20 is the switch fuse, but that also supplies a bunch of other instrument cluster things. If the CCN does not receive messages from the switch it is going to set a DTC code, which should show up as a service required message in the EVIC.

I dunno but would suspect something internal to the switch. Otherwise it seems to be one of those go to the dealer to see if any codes are set things and go from there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looks like M20 is the switch fuse, but that also supplies a bunch of other instrument cluster things. If the CCN does not receive messages from the switch it is going to set a DTC code, which should show up as a service required message in the EVIC.

I dunno but would suspect something internal to the switch. Otherwise it seems to be one of those go to the dealer to see if any codes are set things and go from there.
i got the same problem but i got a message on evic about serv 4wd, abs and stability lights on. All fuses are good.

·
My Reality Check Bounced
19,792 Posts
Its hard to diagnose without the error codes that set the dash indications. Unfortunately the inexpensive ODB scanners don't read those codes. You may need to have a service shop read them, or find someone that has a scanner that can read FCA unique error codes.

Its often a faulty switch, but not always.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello im from argentina and i have the same problem, i made all checks that you tell, i made a revision with a scanner and the result was "U11B7 Lost Comunication all terrain module", could you help me with what it is that I should continue to check. Thanks and sorry by my poor english.

·
My Reality Check Bounced
19,792 Posts
What year and engine? I don't see U11B7 in my early model book.

·
My Reality Check Bounced
19,792 Posts
OK, found it, U11B7 is is the CCN reporting it lost communication with terrain switch.

Likely causes are :
LIN BUS CIRCUIT OPEN
FUSED B(+)
GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN
TERRAIN SWITCH
CLUSTER (the CCN is part of the cluster)

You can check fuse M20 and trace the circuits to verify they are fine, but its probably the switch. To replace it you need to remove the transmission shift knob and then using a trim stick, pull the bezel up far enouch to get at the switch. To remove the knob you use a trim stick to separate the retaining ring from the knob and then pull the yellow spring clip out. The terrain switch snaps into the bezel, and you can release the clips from under.

Attachments

·
My Reality Check Bounced
19,792 Posts
Fused B+ means battery voltage through fuse M20. Looks like you would check pin 7 in the switch connector for B+ (about 10 - 12 VDC).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you very much for your advice, late in answering because I started to function normally if I had made any check. It was perfect until a week ago where the switch started not working again (At the beginning it was on but no modification was made) at the moment besides not taking any function it shuts down and turns on randomly. An electrician in my area told me that insurance is a cable that is not making good contact surely.
I managed to download these workshop manuals 2011 GENERAL INFORMATION Vehicle Data - Grand Cherokee where I can not find the complete electrical diagram to follow the cables, you would have data where you could see or download this information to check.
On the other hand, I followed your advice and checked the voltage, the fuses and everything is fine. The only thing I notice when reviewing the switchboard is this detail that I attached photo, I did clean and review continuity and it is perfect.
Thank you

Attachments

·
My Reality Check Bounced
19,792 Posts
All I have is what is in post #12 above.

A PC card cold solder joint can look good sometimes but fail intermittently.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.