Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Seeking San Diego area Jeep-savvy auto parts store

1495 Views 9 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  ted939
Anyone know a San Diego auto parts store I can go to, where they sell parts for Cherokee repairs, upgrades, mods, modernizations, improvements?

I only saw one CA vendor at http://www.jeepforum.com/vendors/, and it wasn't San Diego area.

I'd love to roll in with my old worn down Cherokee, point out various needs and wants, and have someone who's totally in the know tell me what they stock, or know about, that will be best bang for my buck options.

Thanks!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
All the old parts stores are long gone, everything is a chain now with the kid at the counter ready to look up what you need. "Brakes? Does it have air conditioning?" The closest thing to what you want is Border Parts in Spring Valley. They have been around forever and are experts but really only deal with driveline stuff; axles, transmissions, transfer cases.

For some reason all the jeeps in San Diego that get scrapped end up all at one place, hard rock 4x4. The guy there is pretty knowledgeable but charges just about dealer prices for everything so we all avoid going there.
I digress Jeff. hard rock 4x4 doesn't know as much as they think they do. When I wanted to do a transfer case upgrade I considered the rubi case. I went there and they tried to sell me one that had a cracked case for something like 1800 bucks. YEAH RIGHT!. I ended w/an atlas for not much more.
So, it's all online shopping these days, then, huh?
online and what you can find at a yard. I've seen LOTS of 88-early 90's xj stuff at pick a part.
online and what you can find at a yard. I've seen LOTS of 88-early 90's xj stuff at pick a part.
Me too but went there 2-3 weeks ago and there was one XJ between both pick-your-part yards.

Very few older cars in general, the stuff must be drying up. On the other hand, there was a million explorers
why repair when you can UPGRADE
Yes - I agree!
Now just to find out where to go to find knowledge of how to best upgrade and where to find parts for upgrading! Old school way used to be auto parts stores that were Jeep-centric; I'm trying to learn the modern way. If only online, you can never really tell who to trust or what a part is really really like. (Right?)

Any suggestions?
is it stock? do you intend to wheel it or keep it basic? IF you want to wheel it, get a welder, a cut off wheel, a bender, some beer and go to town.
is it stock? do you intend to wheel it or keep it basic? IF you want to wheel it, get a welder, a cut off wheel, a bender, some beer and go to town.
It's stock. I'm not planning to wheel it, but I do like to get access to rocky/snowy/sandy/muddy areas for work and play, so I'd like it to be at least working right in it's stock 4x4 intentions, and maybe beef it up a bit for more off road access/work/play as time and money allows.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.