Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

S-10 Hybrid Leafpack build....

5163 29
OOPS!!

These '93 S-10 2wd rear leaf packs seem to have lost their eyes, shackles, and centering pins.... :D

To be continued tomorrow, once I've acquired U-bolts and leaf spring clamps....
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
A torch and some 5/16'' bolts would have given you spring clamps. At least that's what I did to the stock S-10 spring clamps.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mrboom said:
Oh no.. What could of happened to them? :shhh:

HAHA..
haha, i dont know dude... my 4.5" angle grinder musta ate 'em :D

jmundale said:
nice
... beware, its a stiff ride with those guys... they are way more beefy than the stock springs. And they can make big liftie lift
i was only going to use the chopped main leaf, and the S-10 overload instead of the wimpy XJ overload... still think its too much? and does that mean no flexy?

CKUPQ said:
A torch and some 5/16'' bolts would have given you spring clamps. At least that's what I did to the stock S-10 spring clamps.
autozone stocks spring clamps and the 3" u-bolts, so i think ill be ok. good idea tho!

will have updates tomorrow :thumbsup:

·
Registered
408 Posts
I used the same 3 leaf packs. Put my 3rd XJ leaf under them and have 3.5" over stock. I initially put in the S10 overload and got 4", but not very good flex. I pulled the overload and moved the front and rear spring clamps all the way the axle. Stuffs nicely now. Good luck!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cc cherokee said:
I used the same 3 leaf packs. Put my 3rd XJ leaf under them and have 3.5" over stock. I initially put in the S10 overload and got 4", but not very good flex. I pulled the overload and moved the front and rear spring clamps all the way the axle. Stuffs nicely now. Good luck!:thumbsup:
3.5" OVER stock? damn...

my prob is that with the storage box in back, and with the sag, im like 1.5-2" low, and the leafs are almost inverting. so i just want get those 2" back, and match a 1.75" coil spacer in front. so 1.75" over stock would be perfect, but i needy the flexy!

thanks for the input man!

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cc cherokee said:
flexy is sexy
so how much below stock was yours before the lift? i.e., how much total lift did u get, from where you were to now?

any other opinions are appreciated.

·
Little Red Menace
22,830 Posts
I ran the S10 hybrid packs like this:

XJ main -- S10 Main -- Second S10 leaf -- Third XJ leaf -- S10 load leaf

That netted real close to 4.25" of lift. I took the S10 overload out and they settled down to about 4 even. I just used the XJ overload on them. Flex is so-so though I haven't had a REAL chance to work them out.

I read a write up on NAXJA about using Dodge van main leafs to get an extra inch or two of added length in the rear. I have the TnT boomerang shakles on now and the hybrid pack is firm enough to keep the shakles damn near upright. The added length of the Dodge main will put a little preload and flatten the pack a tiny bit. That should translate to a softer ride.

I'm also looking for MJ or BroncoII packs as well. They are said to be thinner springs and will offer the same lift, but with better flex and ride.

This just screwing around in the driveway after the shakle install.

Jack ran out of travel even with the 4x4 under it. I really need to get her out and stretch her legs.

·
Registered
408 Posts
lost honda pro said:
so how much below stock was yours before the lift? i.e., how much total lift did u get, from where you were to now?
When I first lifted with a 2.5" RE full length AAL, it was less than 1" below stock.
I trimmed last month but before that, it was 20.5" from wheel center to bottom of stock flare, so 3.5" over.
When I was preparing to do the S10 swap I heard from a few folks around here that your XJ main ought to be in good shape, not inverted. I would be concerned if the packs were inverted at the shackle end. The forward main eye shouldn't be a big deal b/c you can cut the S10 main to length so that it can sit under the eye. My S10 main doesn't quite reach the shackle and I've been watching it to see if the XJ main starts to invert. OK so far... Here's a pic from when the overload was still in.

Attachments

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so, got the leafs in, and results were JUST AS I HAD HOPED!

i used just the chopped main S-10 leaf, between the main XJ leaf and the last three XJ leafs. got new centering pins (grade 8, ~$4) and leaf spring clamps (~$14, autozone stocks em), so with the S-10 leaf packs ($20), its a total of $38.

ride is really not much different, little stiffer, but i still think it will flex fine. from the ground, my middle of the OE flare measurement went from 30.5" to 33.5". this yields a net gain of 3", but it was about 1.5" low from the flat leafs, so i'm calling it right at 1.5/1.75" of over-stock-gain. (should match some 1.75" spacers nicely)

on to the pics... there are tons of writeups on this, so ill just show mid-process, the chop off tool, and how it sits said and done. keep in mind i have a full size (29") spare and a massive storage box probably sitting around 80 lbs.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Shoobie said:
Looks good. :) Now stuff some bigger tires under it. :p
would like to, unfortunately, i did the uber-budget boost cuz i have no money :(

captain_ruggy said:
That looks good. Nice jeep.
thanks, i like the hotrod jeep look...

but in all seriousness, i did the leafs in back on tuesday, and today i found some used TJ coil spacers (same as our XJ and the ZJ grands, i believe) for $50. installed those, so its nice and level, with a grand total of $89.

dont have any good daylight pics, but hopefully these 1.3 MP camera phone (the g/fs) should hold u guys over till tomorrow afternoon.

thanks for all the support and info guys, u make the forum what it is!!!

·
Little Red Menace
22,830 Posts
Looks nice and level. Even though it's only around 2" of lift, make sure to adjust the toe on front axle. You can do it at home using th links in the Tech/FAQ sticky, or take it to a shop.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.