Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, So I recently lifted my XJ. It's a 95'. I put 3.5" Rusty's leaf packs in the rear and 3" Rusty's coils in the front. The springs were not the problem.

Because my OE steering linkage looked wore out I purchased a Rusty's HD conversion. Not the "over the knuckle" kit just the heavy duty kit. It came with a new stabilizer and hardware.

Install was easy.

Pro's for the kit:

Thick tie rod and drag link material
Cheaper than other kits
can be made to "over the knuckle"

Cons:

"IT CAUSED MY DEATH WOBBLE!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::thumbdown:

after going through all the all the other variables and really watching my linkage work I found that the design of the HD kit allowed linkage play and free movement.

To make a long story short, after putting my old linkage back on the DW went away.

Take it for what its worth.

·
Premium Member
14,195 Posts
IMO the currie system is the best bolt on kit on the market. Rusty's is okay for some parts, but trac-bars and steering are not a good investment from rusty's.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I kinda figured that out the hard way. I hope this helps others "steer away" from poor design.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Send it back. Rusty is a good guy he'll make it right.

Thats a problem with the inverted T set-up not just rustys. It happens with the RR kit too.

So people use plastic washers in between the TREs. That seems to help a bit.

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
Did you try to go 'over the knuckle' on the driver's side knuckle without drilling it out and getting an insert for it? This would most likely cause a lot of play in the steering.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Rusty's is horrible. I've heard too many stories about trackbars breaking to trust anything but their springs.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you try to go 'over the knuckle' on the driver's side knuckle without drilling it out and getting an insert for it? This would most likely cause a lot of play in the steering.
Nope didn't do the OTK. It was installed in the usual configuration. The DW is caused because ball joint the connects the drag link to the tie rod is not mounted to the knuckle. Thus allowing the tie rod to "roll" when the pitman arm pushes or pulls it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rusty's is horrible. I've heard too many stories about trackbars breaking to truck anything but their springs.
My fault for not doing research before buying. :thumbdown:

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I had the same issue with mine, I was running a 6.5" lift on my old 90 XJ, and it was good, but same thing, had some worn tie rods, and decided to buy the Rusty's kit and what a crappy deal that was. I spoke witht hem and they suggested a 1 degree toe in, and they said that would help out with the DW, so I was not the only person with that issue, and that was back in 2004 I installed it on my rig. I never found a happy medium with the kit, I eventually sold the Jeep witht hat kit on it, and I know now to never buy one again...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So many victims of poor design............

·
Registered
527 Posts
your luck the welds didn't fail! lots of guys on naxja have had that issue. had my buddy bust 3 out of 4 ca's he bought from rusty's so far. i could weld better then his stuff with a battery!

only good thing i have heard about his stuff are the skids. no welds to f up!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Not to thread jack but has anyone put on or had any issues with the Iron Rock adj track bar?
nah, youll find more that people love IRO's stuff. go for the double shear track bar, i run it and its great.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts