Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I decided to run dual fuel (gas/propane) on my YJ 258. It has had the nutter bypass done and has a Weber 38/38. Just got it running today, and it is freaking sweet!!

It's like out of a Mad Max movie or something, with a flip of a switch, and pull of a cord, you got instant "other" fuel!!!

I got it from GotPropane.com. He doesn't sell an dual 258 kit, so I called and he upjetted a Toyota Dual Fuel kit, guess the Yota guys run Webers, too?

I don't intend to run it on the road, but more so for a couple of reasons. You can keep Propane safely for a long time. If you buy a forklift tank, you get a special price at Uhaul, probably commercial pricing vs public? Anyhow, I filled my 33 lb tank, I think the guy said 22 lbs? Not full, but it costs me $24.17. And in Florida, if the power is out from a hurricane or something, I can rely on prefilled propane tanks, and in a dire pinch, use BBQ tanks as well.

Is it something I need? No. But I like SHTF/Emergency kinda stuff and projects, so there ya go, lol. I also don't need a portable desalination plant, but I made one, lol, it's just who I am.

Anyhow, here are some pics, if anybody is interested, I can answer any questions you may have. To be honest, it was pretty straight forward, just read the instructions. Only slight hiccup I had was an air leak. The converter (from Weber carb to circle air filter plate) to the big air duct (with thumb turn ontop) was leaking a bit, it was whistling and sounded like my Jeep was supercharged, lol. Badass, but ANY air leaks and the propane won't run. So I had to crank the heck out of the thumb turn. I put white lithium grease between the 2 parts, that helped. Those 2 pieces don't come with a gasket. One day I'll make one.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Fixture Automotive exterior Bumper

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Fuel tank

Motor vehicle Car Vehicle Automotive fuel system Gas

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Auto part

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Electrical wiring Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Gas

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
Oh that's right, you're the grass carpet guy. I forgot about you. :laugh:

Interesting modification. Buggy guys do it all the time. Propane is much safer to keep inside the vehicle than gasoline is, which is why they do it. Or at least, they used to. Don't see many guys running propane anymore.

By the way, that tank is ~7 gallons of propane, and propane is much less efficient than gasoline is. You won't be taking long highway trips on propane alone, so bear that in mind.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh that's right, you're the grass carpet guy. I forgot about you.

Interesting modification. Buggy guys do it all the time. Propane is much safer to keep inside the vehicle than gasoline is, which is why they do it. Or at least, they used to. Don't see many guys running propane anymore.

By the way, that tank is ~7 gallons of propane, and propane is much less efficient than gasoline is. You won't be taking long highway trips on propane alone, so bear that in mind.
Lol, yep, I am the Grass guy!! I get laughs and smiles all the time from people that peek walk by.

Yeah, I wanted a bigger propane tank, but space is an issue. It is really just for emergencies and a cool alternative. I don't do really long trips with the YJ. Longest I've gone is about 1.5 hours away, not that I don't trust it, but it just beats me up, lol. Same feeling when I used to ride motorcycles, it just wears you down somehow vs a comfy normal car.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
I don't do really long trips with the YJ. Longest I've gone is about 1.5 hours away, not that I don't trust it, but it just beats me up, lol. Same feeling when I used to ride motorcycles, it just wears you down somehow vs a comfy normal car.
I still love that storage mod you did behind the seats.

I know what you mean. My YJ was my daily driver for many many years, and I did several 8+ hour drives in it. It's much more comfortable to drive now than it was back then, but I no longer have any desire to drive it farther than an hour or so away.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts