Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I bought a 76 cj 7, has been setting alot the last 10 yrs. It was running fine 1 yr ago according to the previous owner, my brother. I have replaced the sending unit, cleaned or replaced gas lines, new fuel filter, new water pump, coil, and plugs. I put a rebuilt weber carb he got from rock auto. All that and it will barely pull itself, it's missing and Smoking and when given gas reeves up slowly. Any ideas are greatly appreciated..BTW it has 69 k original miles so it's not worn out...

·
Registered
1984 CJ-7
83 Posts
Distributor? Rotor? Wires? Timing? Honestly just making sure distributor is stabbed correctly, timing is set, and checking all listed above (but not listed in your post)...if that ain't it, could be fuel pump, bad ground, anything...?

·
Premium Member
9,565 Posts
I am guessing your plug wires are on wrong.

Find the timing mark on the front pulley. I mark it with paint. Find the timing mark son the front cover plate, I mark the 0 and 10 degrees BTDC with paint. Easier to see with a timing light etc.

Turn the engine round with a wrench and the spark plug out of #1. Put finger over hole and turn until you can feel the pressure mount, when you get the timing marks lined up, that is where the rotor is pointing at number 1 spark plug lead.

This diagram is useful but #1 may not be in that location, you have to check. You can take out the distributor and turn it and insert until you get #1 in that position if you are a perfectionist.

Font Rectangle Circle Drawing Auto part

Reactions: pedal2themetai

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
HI,
Check firing order.. Remember there are two (2) times the line on the crank is at TDC. once at the top of the compression stroke (the one you want) and at the top of the exhaust stroke (the one you DON"t want. The crank turns twice to ONE turn the the distributor. if you changed wires good chance you mixed those two ... FYI. Also the motor does not really care Where in the cap #1 starts as long as its in the right order and rotation and at the right crank TDC..
You well need a timing light to properly set the timing and also if when at idle the mark moves around the timing chain is bad and needs replaced.

good luck take care be safe
tim

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I have discovered I'm only firing on 1 and 6. Good spark on the other cylinders, bit just running on the two. I have talked to 2 very good mechanics and they are thinking it has jumped time. One of them worked for a jeep dealership in the 80's. Any opinions out there?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts