Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,182 Posts
Hi,

I am working on my new jeep project and my welder is now broken I am seeking advice on this one that which welder should I consider to build the roll cage?
I like the tig welder for cages. If you're a good welder a mig is fine.

·
Real Jeeps have dents
29,465 Posts
I would suggest that welding a roll bar for actual roll-over protection is not a job for a beginner. The work should be performed by an experienced and skilled welder, and I would want one who is AWS certified. The tube fit-up, the weld penetration, and the weld bead reinforcement profile all have to be correct. Failure of your welds could have serious or deadly consequences.

Many of the 20+ TIG Welders at the shop I work for have their own TIG machine at home. We only have one MIG machine and it is used for building work tables and fixtures.

Your welder should have settings and capability that exceed your roll bar material thickness.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would suggest that welding a roll bar for actual roll-over protection is not a job for a beginner. The work should be performed by an experienced and skilled welder, and I would want one who is AWS certified. The tube fit-up, the weld penetration, and the weld bead reinforcement profile all have to be correct. Failure of your welds could have serious or deadly consequences.

Many of the 20+ TIG Welders at the shop I work for have their own TIG machine at home. We only have one MIG machine and it is used for building work tables and fixtures.

Your welder should have settings and capability that exceed your roll bar material thickness.
I have been using Mig for 5 years and last year I switched to Tig. I wanted to share images here but this forum system seems complex

·
Registered
51 Posts
A mig welder would be fine for just about any sanctioning race body. A rough rule of thumb is that you want an amp for every thousandth of metal you're welding. So if you're welding 1/8" wall tube ( 0.125" ) you'd want a 125 amp welder. The problem is that eventually you'll terminate the tube at a plate, which is usually 3/16" plate in rule books.

What I'm getting at is that you'd be fine with a 220v mig machine. I'd stick with one of the big manufactures (Hobart, miller, Lincoln) but that's just me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.