RockHard Ultimate Sport Cage [$1100]

38217 32
Product Information
Price $1100
Rating 4
Average Price $686.07
Manufacturer RockHard
Recommended Yes: 30 / No: 3

This is the main Sports Cage which includes everything from the factory bar forward to the dash and it fits hard tops or soft tops. Dash brackets are mounted to the bolt below your dome light switch and the 2 bolts above the switch. All Sport Cages are complete bolt-in, you do not remove any of the factory sport cage to install our unit! This means no drilling, no welding. The Sports Cage fits Soft and Hardtops. All hardware is included and comes unpainted. Rear Bars, Angle Bars, 5pt Harness Bars, Frame tie-ins, and padding kits are also available.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Price $200
Rating 4
Pros Bolt-on= easy install, Looks good when the tops off, better than stock
Cons Its a bolt-on, needs the expensive frame tie-ins to even get remotely close to being as durable as a weld-in cage
Recommended yes

Comments: I got mine super cheap from a partout job. It came with the angle bars and the rear bar. Install was fairly simple, even without instructions (can't download them from RockHard's website either). Just make sure all the bars are in place before you start tightening things down. Work from the inside out. I emailed RockHard about a torque spec for the bolts and they said there wasn't one. I got this setup because it was super cheap and because I do medium wheeling and need that extra insurance in case i go over. If I wheeled KNOWING I would go over then I would have gotten a weld-in frame tied cage. I plan on adding the frame tie-ins on mine for peace of mind but hate paying more for those parts than I did for the whole cage.

This is just my 2 cents, Do a needs assessment before you buy a cage and see which one suits your needs, bolt-in or weld-in. If you choose bolt-in then RockHard is a good choice.......flamesuit on.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Rating 4
Pros Very well made and easy to install with a friend's help.
Cons $1000.00 price tag (before powder coating!)
Recommended yes

Comments: Came very rough finished. Needed to take an angle grinder to it to get it ready for paint. Needed to have a muffler shop fill a hole in one of the welded seems (small job and they did it for free).

Installed in a 1999 Jeep Cherokee limited in a few hours with a friend's help. I was impressed with how well it fit (even with an overhead console). My sun visors still work, just needed a little modification to the wing tips (cut them off). Cost me $225 to have it powder coated. Over all I really like it. Have had many compliments, even from professional fabricator that do weld in only kits.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Rating 5
Pros Great workmanship, everything fit well
Cons none
Recommended yes

Comments: Really like the ease of install (a bit time consuming, but good instructions)

·
Registered
710 Posts
Rating 5
Pros Easy install, great customer support
Cons price might frighten a few
Recommended yes

Comments: This install took me an afternoon and was pretty easy. I did a write up on it (with instructions) so if anyone needs that shoot me a pm. The cage did come with a tap and its a good idea to clean out the threads before you tighten everything down.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Price $600
Rating 5
Recommended yes

Comments: Extremely well made, basically bolts right on, looks GREAT, LOTS of options (rear cross bar, speaker bars, dash bar, floor mounts, etc.)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Price $475
Rating 4
Recommended yes

Comments: About two hours to install. came as bare metal so it needed to be finished prior to installation. Fit great and looks great. Also allows several radios to be mounted on the center posts betwee the windshield and the factory crossbar above the seats.

·
Northman
1,442 Posts
Price $575
Rating 4
Recommended yes

Comments: Painted Rubi white and it is pure sweetness.. I bought the wrap around diagonals.. becasue of speaker pods and the rear stabilizer making for all around solid platform.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Price $850
Rating 4
Recommended yes

Comments: Well it takes some thought as to the steps you need to put it in. The hardest part was getting up the courage to cut the stock padding. out side of that I hope I really never have to test it. :)

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Price $800
Rating 5
Recommended yes

Comments: For a bolt in cage its great! Easy install and from what I have seen from the bolt on ones it looks to be the best out there. Not a weld on one so not as strong as those but looks like it will do its job.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Rating 5
Pros They make bolt-on knuckles for any custom removable cage application
Cons None
Recommended yes

Comments: I purchased four knuckles and their dashboard mounting plates for my removable front cage section. Much easier to make the section with Rockhard's DIY pieces. I like being able to remove my front section so that working behind the dash is easier. If I had to remove the entire cage each time, it would take at least three guys to to it. They assured me that they have tested the strength of these parts with roll-over testing.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Price $560
Rating 4
Recommended yes

Comments: super easy install, very stout and built well. havent used it yet but im sure it could take a flop no problem

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Price $540
Rating 4
Recommended yes

Comments: Great addition to any Wrangler. It's tough and fits well. Not suitable if you're using a soft top cause the vertical pieces in the front interfere with the holes on the existing roll cage where the soft top's door brackets bolt on. If you're using a bikini top you'll have to cut and re-stitch the top to fit around the vertical pieces of the sport cage.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Price $1100
Pros Bolted together pretty well.
Cons Came unfinished, would like to have had a powder coat option.
Recommended yes

Comments: I got the cage, rear angle bars and the floor supports. I had the whole thing powder coated which turned out nice, but was a hassle. The tubes are generally sealed and the micro holes in/around the welds played havoc with the powder coater. Getting the floor supports to fit was also a challenge but the whole thing eventually came together. So far, like it very much and feel much safer when wheeling.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Price $600
Rating 5
Pros Very stout, smooth welds. All hardware was included (hasn't rusted in the year I've had it either). Great place to park your tail to watch sunsets,etc. Haven't tested the cage yet--but it feels a lot safer.
Cons Not much of a con but did find a couple of micro holes in the welding. The front spreader bar has some weld splatter inside that I can hear tinkling about once in a while. If you drop your windshield..you have to remove the front half the cage to get everything to line back up for the windshield mounts, and then reinstall the front half.
Recommended yes

Comments: I've had my set up for about 9 months now. I've got the full sport cage, including the rear spreader bar and angle bars. I run a factory soundbar and not the pods. Using a dremal(sp?) tool, I trimmed the soundbar so it would fit right over the rear angle bars. Slapped the cover back on the sound bar and stuffed some poly fill in for the speakers-- it's looks/sounds just fine.

If you've got a ratchet strap it can be installed with one person (really only need the 2nd person for the rear spreader bar). As far as the factory roll bar covers, you can cut out where the roll bar would go. I do advise to get roll bar covers for all the pieces...it's a real pain (literally) when you whack your head on them. The install itself is easy, just time consuming with all those bolts to tighten.

The issue a poster had about it the front supports fitting with the door surrounds can be fixed with a BFH :D I run a soft top and the only issue I've found is the soft top bars hanging up on the clamps for the rear part of the cage when lowering/raising the soft top. On certain years you do have to trim something on the windshield, which is listed in the directions.

I added a couple of photos, sorry don't have a good one so you can see the front supports/spreader bar. One of these days I'll get around to doing a write up. :cheers:

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Price $600
Pros very stable, nice grab handles for vehicle entry, looks great
Cons only a support cage not an additional frame mount
Recommended yes

Comments: has adequate bars to provide some lateral support of front cage bars. looks great with the top and doors off. good hand holds

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Price $120
Pros An entry level mod.
Cons Fitment sucked.
Recommended no

Comments: I bought a rear C hoop spreader to go across the back. In theory it works good and is better than nothing but I could never get it to fit like its should. And there was nothing wrong with my OEM sports bar to start. The fitment sucks. Dont waste your money get a real cage to start anyway.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Price $600
Rating 2
Pros easy to install
Cons poor sloppy welds, over splater, un-finished, no powder coating option
Recommended no

Comments: could not wait for the smittybuilt version to come out so I ordered the Rockhard sport cage. I feel better with the "upgraded" protection, but the welds are just crap. Theirs no other word for it, pin holes, too much material used and splatter all over, and it is unfinished. I wont say I regret it, just really let down by the quality. Not worth the money paid for it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.