Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1101 - 1120 of 1154 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,103 ·
So finally started working on this thing last night. I'm starting with replacing the rockers and doing mini boat sides. I was gonna do 2x6 but was given a stick of 2x4x.25 for free so I'm gonna cut it all out and see if I can make that work first. I also have a 24ft stick of 2x2 tube I'm gonna use for legs to the frame rails and to also tie the cage in. Got one of my old sliders off later night. Motivation to finish it now. Ordered some aluminum round last week through work which should be here today or tomorrow. Gonna use that to build up my front bumpstops topping it off with a rubber hockey puck to work with my new upper steel bumpstops. Shouldn't be too long before it's all back together but we'll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,104 ·
Got started on one of my front bumpstops today. Only measured one side to start. Got some aluminum through work. Since I had done the solid upper stops a while back I'm building up from the bottom with some 3" dia aluminum the. Bolting a hockey puck on top to soften the blow. Got one side done today after work. Gonna be using some 3/4-16 threaded rod and two nuts instead of the trouble ended bolt I made up years ago. This way I can have some thread hanging out to thread the aluminum on once the spring has been bolted down.

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,106 ·
Got most of the new rockers done today. Everything is cut and mocked into place. Just need to take it over to my buddy's place now to weld it all in. I'm gonna stick with the 2x4 tube and add a round tube bar to the outside a lot like my old rocker guards which will bring the outside edge about where I want it. Also have something special coming in the next few weeks for the Jeep which will help out a lot. Stay tuned!

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,107 ·
So decided to tear more into this thing yesterday. Since I had to take down my cross member for other things.. I decided on swapping out my crossmember for the Ironman one I have. It'll be more flat plus will allow me to link the rear later on. Because of this I'll have to re setup my links. I'm also going to clearance the inner fender a little more for the 42s.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Will you be trimming the bottom of the doors so you can still use them when you want to?

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,110 ·
Lookie at what decided to show up today! Got the new crossmember in and the new links made. Gonna try and have it sitting in its own weight by this weekend and hopefully I can take it over to get the rockers welded in. As well as a lot more to come!

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,111 ·
Alright so the atlas is in. Only had to cut a little bit out of the floor to make it fit. Waiting on a tail support for it. Also got the crossmember fit up with the atlas. Will have to come apart again though for a little more trimming but for the most part it's done. I might have to shorten my front driveshaft some as well. Something else for this new set up came in Friday. Picked up a set of 12" coilovers for the rear. Also ordered the rear half of the Ironman4x4 crossmember to get the rear linked up. I'll put front coilovers on soon but right now not worried about it. With school starting Monday this will all slow down some but we'll see gonna try and get as much done as possible without distracting me for my classes.

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,112 ·
More to add.. New rockers and supports are all welded in. Front is pretty much done for now. Atlas is in permanently and new shifters hooked up and set up. Need to bend one of them them cause it was a TJ kit I found used and I don't like how the shifters are bent. Ordered a Raddesign winters shifter which showed up today along with a Goatbuilt winters mount. Actually pretty excited about the new fitment of it all. Puts the shifter right where I want it. Hopefully gonna get that all installed and working this weekend. I'm also hoping my rear crossmember shows up sometime soon so I can get started on that.

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,114 ·
Well got some done on the Cherokee today. Rear crossmember finally came in Thursday so that's in just needs to get welded. Got all the old rear suspension out and the truss mocked in and axle kinda where I want it. Cut some out of the rear fenders for the coil overs. Just need to make a Barnes4wd order and make some links and it should be good to go. I also got my new shifter all hooked up today. Need to do a little mount adjustment cause now my seat doesn't fit but it seems to shift find.

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,115 ·
So the Cherokee has been waiting for my last order to Barnes4wd to get finished up. Been hard lately to come up with the extra money, everywhere I turn something or someone is needing money. But I'm getting there. The truck, which has been hogging a lot of it, should be good for a little while and the Comanche is getting cut off after I fix the shifter which shouldn't be much. I am however picking up a set of coilovers for the front this week. I know that money could go to fixing the rear but in the long run it'll work out better. I am hoping to have it pretty freaking close by the end of the month if not early next. I did get my new trans shifter all hooked up ad mounted. I need to still wire it to the TCM. My cutting brake handle is mounted and needs to be plumbed. My atlas shifters are in and working as they should. All that's really left to do is to weld in my rear crossmember, shorten my front driveshaft, plumb the cutting brake and build the links. After all of that I will take it over to my buddy's place and bend up some front hoops for the front coilovers. Should be back on the trails after that! Hoping and praying all goes well and according to plan but I'm not too optimistic lol

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,116 ·
Okay so ordered the tube for the rear uppers today. Still need to order my lower heims. With school being done I can focus more on it this thing. Also helps I got rid of my Comanche. Traded it for a LJ that isn't as much of a project so will not drain me of a whole lot hopefully. Gonna start getting all no money loose ends tied up this week and hopefully get my heims early next week. Then should be assembly time!

The LJ:

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
That the Ironman 4x4 fab setup? Deifinitely looks higher clearance than my Clayton 3link/4link setup. I like the really smooth bottom it gives you.

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,119 ·
That the Ironman 4x4 fab setup? Deifinitely looks higher clearance than my Clayton 3link/4link setup. I like the really smooth bottom it gives you.
Yeah it's the iron man set up. That's the main reason I went with it is cause of the flatness. I'm just hoping the numbers work out. Also with the front set up the way it is I might be able to 4 link it as well and ditch the track bar. With everything already there and all I needing is another link and a axle side bracket it'll definitely be worth a short

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,120 ·
Alright so finished this weekend in a good note. Not where I wanted to be but not bad. Got the axle brackets and links burned in and it all back under the Jeep on its own weight on the coilovers. Carefully got it loaded onto the trailer and over to my buddy's place and got the crossmember burned in. Then pulled it in to get the front coilovers done. I had opted to just order pre bent tubes rather than bend them myself just for time sake. Got the hoops are mounted and tacked in everything seems to fit pretty good. Will probably be back over there Tuesday to finish burning it all in and start on a hoop brace. Still need to weld in my atlas support, run my battery cables, mount my battery box all before this coming Saturday. I want to take it for a test run before I take it all the way to Harlan for the 4th of July.

1101 - 1120 of 1154 Posts