Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been running a Rock Krawler 2.5" Max Travel lift for about 2 years now. The springs were Progressive in the front, Linear in the rear.
Fox 2.0 IFP shocks, which are hard to describe vs stock Rubicon shocks. Fox is a little stiffer, yet feel better than Rubi shocks.

Yesterday, I installed the new Rock Krawler 2.5" Triple Rate springs and took it for a drive.
I gained about 1/2" in the front, and 3/4" in the rear over the old RK Gen 1 springs.

Wow! It actually feels car-like!! A much smoother ride, even down gravel roads. No more stiff/bouncy ride when hitting bumps. This is a big-deal for a lifted Jeep.
These coils are definitely worth the money, especially if this your Jeep is a DD. Thank you Rock Krawler! :cheers2:

·
Banned
615 Posts
This is good to Know @HappyTrails Now we have something to look forward to when it's time. But there is a question.. any sort of space/isolator installed or factory settings with the new coils?

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No spacers, re-installed the rubber donut at the top on the rear coils, just swapped out the old RK coils for the new RK TR's.
I laid the old ones next to the new ones. The new TR's are a little longer. After installing them, I measured from the tire to the fender, gained about 1/2" in the front, and 3/4" in the rear. Only time will tell if they will sag, which I doubt.

·
Banned
615 Posts
Again this is good to know and a better alternative in my eyes.. if noting serous needs to be altered with the jeeps factory setting spacers etc.. a simple swap out would be the easiest way to go just to achieve a more comfortable ride. Thou we would have suggested grabbing pics next time.. and yes we can be found guilty of doing the same thing.. Just don't have enough hands to grab pics and do the install.. Grab a friend to take pics during the next install or update.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The first pic is the front coils. On the left is the new RK Triple Rate spring. On the right is the old RK Progressive spring.

Next are the rear coils. On the left is the new RK Triple Rate spring. On the right is the old RK Linear spring.

The install was straight forward, just had to remove the front bumpstops, disconnect the sway bar links, leave one tire on, and remove the other tire, and lower the axle. Front springs just slide off. Rear springs, same drill (remove the sway bar links for more droop), but go to to a local auto parts store and rent a coil spring compressor tool! I could have used a pry bar and with some elbow grease got those springs in. But the spring compressor made it much easier.

·
Banned
615 Posts
You Go @HappyTrails and one can clearly see the difference.. A tighter spun coil with a slight edge in the over all length. Seems the coil compression is located more at the the spacer contact which would offer that comfort ride your'e referring to.

True That: coil spring compressor tool

Thou I have seen jeepers use heavy duty zip ties and cinch them down as they progress.. and while at an unnamed off road shop.. they were using the zip ties when the ties broke shooting the coil through the wall into the show room..

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thou I have seen jeepers use heavy duty zip ties and cinch them down as they progress.. and while at an unnamed off road shop.. they were using the zip ties when the ties broke shooting the coil through the wall into the show room..
LMAO!!! Lucky them that the coil didn't hit someone or cause any more damage than a hole in the wall. It could have been much worse.
Coil Spring Compressors are free to rent at most local auto parts stores, worth the drive to rent one.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I gained about 1/2" in the front, and 3/4" in the rear over the old RK Gen 1 springs.
What is the total amount of lift using the 2.5" Triple Rates on a 2 door?

What is your measurement at the coil mount at ride height? (stock is about 9 3/8")

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What is the total amount of lift using the 2.5" Triple Rates on a 2 door?

What is your measurement at the coil mount at ride height? (stock is about 9 3/8")
I measured 13" at the front spring mounts, from bottom mount to the bottom edge of the top mount cup. This is with winch, steel bumper, and 50 lbs of supercharger parts under the hood.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Softer, more free length both seem to be positives...
Definitely SOFTER initially. Big difference versus the old springs.
The rear doesn't feel like it wants to hop around while driving over bumpy gravel roads, like it did with the old linear springs.
Haven't had the chance to flex it on the rocks yet.

·
Registered
794 Posts
There is still no advantage
I assume you have linear Terraflex or like springs...:thumbsup:

Dual and triple or progressive ramp up allowing for softer ride and more free length which is useful for crawling...

Unless 900lbs of bumper is your thing or towing with a under powered motor possibly trying to replicate a leaf sprung vehicle is intended purpose then linear is your ticket...:rofl:

Just busting you chops...lol some people like a stiffer spring for handling and weight of add one and that is where progressive dual or triple suffer a bit for sure...so its not one is better than the other just different and users have a choice on those...

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
You will actually lose stability with the dual rate. To my knowledge, no one makes a true progressive rate since no manufacturer has the ability to change the thickness of the coil through its progression. On the road, the duals and triples will give you the same driving characteristics as stock coils with a 3" poly spacer. Offroad, you'll actually lose stability do to the softness--required for that long unsprung length everyone is after. You'd be better to go with a coil like the OME that is designed to be fully unsprung at full droop with an 11" stroke shock. If you REALLY need more unsprung length than that, a tender coil would be a better option. The progressive stuff is really an old fad thats being resurrected to make some $$$

·
Registered
794 Posts
You will actually lose stability with the dual rate. To my knowledge, no one makes a true progressive rate since no manufacturer has the ability to change the thickness of the coil through its progression. On the road, the duals and triples will give you the same driving characteristics as stock coils with a 3" poly spacer. Offroad, you'll actually lose stability do to the softness--required for that long unsprung length everyone is after. You'd be better to go with a coil like the OME that is designed to be fully unsprung at full droop with an 11" stroke shock. If you REALLY need more unsprung length than that, a tender coil would be a better option. The progressive stuff is really an old fad thats being resurrected to make some $$$
I'll stick with softer long springs....we do a lot of rocks here and not bouncing so it works great....:thumbsup:
If ome springs are long and fully unsprung at droop then its a softer spring. Because a straight rate or linear would be stiff and at that length yield a ton of lift...

I see what your saying about stability of a straight spring at full length I've run custom springs and a lot of other stuff I'll stick with synergy but the others are great options...
I raced trucks so familiar with coil overs, bypass, bumps, links etc....and with that I see uses for all stuff just different t setups for different feels and uses I tune shocks as well as forks for the trucks, my dh race bike, mx and my crotch rocket...

So one is not better than the other.....I look like a buggy gii g through the rocks but would add that if I was at speed I'd need a hydraulic bump to account for it or it would be porpoising BAD...

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Brut4ce said:
If ome springs are long and fully unsprung at droop then its a softer spring. Because a straight rate or linear would be stiff and at that length yield a ton of lift...
not necessarily. I just installed a set of ome coils that are over 200lbs per inch on my LJ with 10" stroke shocks. They net about 2.75"s of lift and unseat just enough that I can barely spin them with my hand. It's not a stiff ride either once you set your control arms appropriately and reestablish your factory roll center. I wouldn't pay too much attention to the unsprung length and the little bit of extra down pressure it may offer. Just because you have change in your pocket doesn't mean you have money..

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.