Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I got my Jeep, the previous owner threw in a set of 15x7 rims as well as some others - he had some aluminum rims with 33's that I sold off. I took the 15x7's and had them blasted and powder coated and then installed some new tires. Well, one of them seems to be bent. I checked the two spare rims I have but they are 15x8's which won't do me any good. Has anyone had any luck with getting a steel rim straightened?

·
Registered
1974 Jeep CJ-6
5,649 Posts
Factory wheel or common aftermarket? There are a couple of places that are very good at truing up a steel wheel, but the cost to ship and fix the wheel can quickly out price a new wheel.

·
Premium Member
10,084 Posts
Exactly.

What kind of wheel?

Hoss

·
Registered
1981 Jeep CJ5
658 Posts
Maybe run the 15x8's on the rear and 15x7's on the front? Same size tire will mount on both, front would have less sidewall bulge.
Just thinkin.....

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are factory rims, and I would rather run the same size on all four corners - makes it easier for rotating ...

·
Premium Member
10,084 Posts
There are many places which can easily repair a damaged wheel. It would be worth checking into at a minimum. The other option would be to find one more 15x7, and have it powder coated to match.

How is it bent? Is it just out of round on the wheel lip, or? How did you notice?

Hoss

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I actually mounted and balanced the tires, and noticed one just didn't seem right. I also took the Jeep in for a baseline emissions test which they did on a wheel dyno. While they were running it, I noticed the whole Jeep would wiggle side to side - only the rear tires were on the dyno. I had never gotten it up to any speed so I never noticed it. Now that I'm getting it more road worthy, I feel the vibration around 50-60. Anything slower I just assume it's a Jeep riding as a Jeep. I haven't spent any time checking how it's bent. I've also been told to check the actual hub and axle assembly as that could be it as well.

In any case, I still need a rim for a spare, anyone have an extra 15x7, I've got two 15x8's ???

·
Premium Member
10,084 Posts
Okay, worth checking the wheels, but may also want to swap them front to rear to see if that changes it.

Did they balance out at 0.00? Did it take alot of weight? Do you get a wobble on the balancer? Did the tires seat fully/correctly?

Are the lug nuts correct, and did the wheels mount correctly and tongue correctly?

You wouldn't be the first guy to get a bad tire/carcass either.

Hoss

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They did balance out to 0, I always check after adding the weights. I will say they all took a little more weight than a car tire but I expected that with the tires I put on it which are Cooper AT's. Yes, the lug nuts are all the same and brand new, and all are torqued to 85 pounds. Tires did seat correctly and fully but I don't remember if the rims had any wobble to them. Maybe I can spend a little time this weekend doing more investigation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts