Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The fuel pump sensor or float is failing and the whole thing needs replacing as one cannot replace just the float or sensor by itself. I have bought a pump from a local supplier near where I live on the west coast of Mexico but it has a very short return period if not the right one. Of course the parts shop has said that this pump is going to fit my 99 Grand Cherokee but as the replacement needs the gas tank to be dismantled (dropped), I don't want to discover at that stage that the part is not going to fit properly...

Am attaching pictures of the new pump and sensor, in case anyone else has done this replacement recently and can confirm that the unit looks okay for my car. Like it definitely resembles the original pump from 1999 - and I should relax!

Thanks!

Caroline

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,485 Posts
I wouldn't install an aftermarket fuel pump module in any vehicle as long as the OE pump is still available.

Whether an aftermarket pump fits is one thing but whether it's going to work and the longevity are some another things to consider. There's just too many problems with aftermarket pumps with all the labor or costs involved in dropping the tank and installing a new fuel pump module.

I'm like Delta0 and I'd go with Rockauto for an OE pump module. I was going to ask your engine size but it doesn't matter since both the 4.0L straight 6 and the 4.7 V8 use the same fuel pump module if it's a true 99 WJ.

Actually Bosch makes the fuel pump modules for Mopar so it makes a whole lot more sense to buy the below Bosch 67662 fuel pump module for $130 vs the Mopar 5012380AD fuel pump module for $333 which are likely identical.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=977612&cc=1431779&pt=10147&jsn=412

You'd need to plug your address and zip code in the cart to find what the shipping and/or duty fees are in shipping to Mexico but wouldn't think they would be super high costs.

I don't buy anything from Rockauto w/o using one of the below discount codes which you can plug into the "How did you hear about us?" box at checkout. You don't need to open a Rockauto account and can check out as a guest.

https://www.retailmenot.com/view/rockauto.com

I have nothing to gain in you using Rockauto and I've just had good success with them in buying fuel pump modules. Just my take and good luck.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Not that this necessarily helps you a great deal, but in my 2004 I cut a hole in the sheetmetal over the fuel tank from the cargo compartment to get to the pump without dropping the tank. If you do it this way, you can fairly easily (and temporarily) put it back together if the new pump doesn't fit. There's a lot of resources out there on where to cut to do it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Delt0, thank you for that info. I checked at the parts store here in Mexico and no, there is no VIN matching to parts in Mexico. But the guy showed me a sticker label on the box which precisely described my car. Also said that their system for matching parts to specific cars is very reliable. So I am a bit less nervous now. Also got them to sign for a further 7 days of grace for doing a return.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sgarlic, would you not have a stinking of gasoline car doing things your way?!! Nah, I will not ask the mechanic to do that!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Uniblurb, I hope you will not be proven right. I can't afford to buy a best quality pump. Am forced to get what I can and hope for the best.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks jw11432. If the one I have bought does not work out, I will come back to this post and check out alternatives.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
sgarlic, would you not have a stinking of gasoline car doing things your way?!! Nah, I will not ask the mechanic to do that!
The tank & pump are 100% sealed against gasoline leaks including vapours Caroline.
It's a legal requirement.

Cutting the floor to get to the pump is routine on Range Rovers here in Merry Old England.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Not that this necessarily helps you a great deal, but in my 2004 I cut a hole in the sheetmetal over the fuel tank from the cargo compartment to get to the pump without dropping the tank. If you do it this way, you can fairly easily (and temporarily) put it back together if the new pump doesn't fit. There's a lot of resources out there on where to cut to do it.
I think cutting a hole in the floor would more than save the extra cost of a Bosch pump.
What do you recon please SG?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts