Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 1999 Grand Cherokee Limited. Battery finally died after about 4 years, so I got a new one. So getting the terminals off was a PITA of course. Then I realized I had to get the hold down as well. I don't have any socket tools (just moved with basically the shirt off my back and the Jeep), so I'm going to pick up what I need for the job. So 2 questions:

1. What is the size of that bolt head that holds the battery (so I can be sure I get a socket that will fit)?

2. Is that ALL that's holding the battery in place?

I ask #2 because I was able to loosen that bolt a bit with a small adjustable wrench, but when I try and shift the battery, it doesn't budge, even though that clamp is a little loose. Is there something else that holds the battery in place? Could it be stuck to the tray?

Thanks for any help on this.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I appreciate the info! Last night I had poured a lot of vinegar on the corroded connectors to clean them up and I think some seeped down to the tray and dissolved some of the gunk that was gluing the bat to the tray. Today a buddy brought over a full socket set, and I was able to get the hold down bolt off (10mm indeed) and swap the battery. Jeep fired right up (and I noticed I didn't have to try three times with the remote to unlock the doors anymore) I got an AGM group 65, so hopefully I'll be good for a while!

·
Registered
316 Posts
georged said:
You probably can buy a starter set of sockets and extensions at Walmart for very little
Yea they have a set for 15-20 bucks and have a lot of sizes and Like 2 extensions. You get what you pay for as they don't have a lifetime warranty. My ratchet broke quickly so I.just bought a set from AutoZone.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I'm hoping someone can help. The bolt that holds down battery clamp just spins and spins. I'm using the correct socket. I've tried putting upward pressure on the bolt from below while removing it, but I've had no success. Any thoughts/idea's????

·
Registered
1 Posts
If it just spins and spins then the bolt is stripped. You could also cut it off and many auto parts stores carry this common item.
I am having the same problem in a 2010 Jeep Liberty. The 10mm bolt that secures the battery hold down clamp just spins. It may have been removed once in its lifetime. You can’t get to the underside of it. What a mess. Bad design. Something as simple as a hold down bolt they can’t design to actually work. Cheap American auto industry crap.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I am having the same problem in a 2010 Jeep Liberty. The 10mm bolt that secures the battery hold down clamp just spins. It may have been removed once in its lifetime. You can’t get to the underside of it. What a mess. Bad design. Something as simple as a hold down bolt they can’t design to actually work. Cheap American auto industry crap.
Hold the head of that naughty bolt with a 10mm spanner, and drill the head out.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
There are only 2 bolts and 1 nut holding the battery tray in place.
Unfortunately you have to move the fusebox / PDC net to the battery to get one of the bolts out.

You have to be a bit careful about the battery temp sensor..

Once it's out, you can fit a junk yard tray.

Instruction ex Service Manual

"REMOVAL (1) Remove the battery from the battery tray. Refer to Battery in this group for the location of the proper battery removal procedures. (2) Remove the Power Distribution Center (PDC) from the stanchions on the outboard side of the battery tray and support unit. Refer to Power Distribution Center in Power Distribution for the location of the proper PDC removal procedures. (3) Remove the one screw that secures the front of the battery tray and support unit to the bracket on the right side of the radiator support (Fig. 31). (4) Remove the one screw that secures the outboard side of the battery tray and support unit to the right fender side cowl reinforcement. (5) Remove the one nut that secures the rear of the battery tray and support unit to the stud on the right fender front wheelhouse inner panel. (6) Remove the battery temperature sensor from the battery tray. Refer to Battery Temperature Sensor in the index of this service manual for the location of the proper battery temperature sensor removal procedures. (7) Remove the battery tray and support unit from the right front corner of the engine compartment. "

1 - 11 of 11 Posts