Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one is for the new YJ owners or folks that have been on the fence about trac bars.
Obviously the topic has been beat around like a dead horse here and everywhere else, But I still see it being asked constantly.
So I made this video to post up for when people ask about it here, and in facebook groups.

I tried to make a fair pro/con list without being too opinionated on the matter.
The best part,
it actually explains what a tracbar is, what it does(and fails to do)

Let me know what ya think and feel free to link it whenever someone asks!
Cheers, Goob (Flawed Offroad):topicsucks:

·
Premium Member
4,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for posting this. There have been a few comments on this topic in other threads recently that sort of conflated or confused the track bar with the sway bar.
my pleasure.

Im actually looking for suggestions on other YJ topics to cover so anyone reading this, feel free to PM me if you want me to cover something in a video

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
Nice video. Collected the pros and cons and presented them in orderly fashion and logically.

·
Typical /f12 Hooligan
6,816 Posts
my pleasure.

Im actually looking for suggestions on other YJ topics to cover so anyone reading this, feel free to PM me if you want me to cover something in a video
Can you cover the missing belt loop all YJ owners seem to have on their pants?

·
Premium Member
4,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice video. Collected the pros and cons and presented them in orderly fashion and logically.
Thank you good sir

Can you cover the missing belt loop all YJ owners seem to have on their pants?
ive actually never lost one even though apparently that means I dont even own a yj. it always catches my t shirts though:laugh2:
tutorial how to fix your missing belt loop with paracord? haha

·
Moderation in Moderation
1995 YJ Wrangler SE
11,337 Posts
Great Video
Left my rear off after 8.8 my font is easy to unbolt and strap up for the trail.
It's even easier when it is in the garbage can :wink2:

(or on a shelf by the garbage can if you need it for bi-annual inspections or something communistic like that)

·
Registered
435 Posts
Nice!! Subscribed!!

I cut my rear, and got the adjustable front one, forgot the manufacturer, loosen a bolt and it slides within itself. Great for on the street when needed, IMHO.

I kept them for a while though, damn was my ride stiff, lol. I honestly did it because I got tired of seeing my YJ sitting crooked!! I'm a weirdo with wierd OCD moments

·
Registered
11,691 Posts
Well, since I cannot remove my trac bars (unless Jim builds me a 4 link. hehe) at all, the one thing I got out of this video is I really miss my old MTR's. :grin2:

Reactions: The_Goob

·
Premium Member
4,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, since I cannot remove my trac bars (unless Jim builds me a 4 link. hehe) at all, the one thing I got out of this video is I really miss my old MTR's. :grin2:
Honestly I miss mine too, the 35s I had. now I have these humvee mtrs and they suck. super stiff and the grip just isnt there. and even though they were "new old stock" they are chunking already after effectively 5 full days of wheeling and maybe 800 road miles

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
dumb question from a yj newbie...

has anyone tried unbolting the trac bars from the axle housings and simply strapped/zip tied them up high for easy re-install later?

·
Premium Member
3,508 Posts

has anyone tried unbolting the trac bars from the axle housings and simply strapped/zip tied them up high for easy re-install later?
Not a dumb question at all, I installed a aftermarket track bar that was made so that you could loosen a bolt and it would "allow" the bar to contract and expand off road. It didn't work well and I ended up removing it after a bit because I could not get the bolt tight enough to have it work like a track bar is suppose to on road. I haven't had one after that point.

·
Premium Member
4,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Many have done that, for a few reasons. Some to try it out with no bars, or because they cant get the top bolt out lol. others tie it up out of the way so its there for inspection time. I wouldnt do it as a permanent solution

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
From experience, the rear does nothing.

Front makes a big difference on road. I discovered that when my YJ started to have 'rubbery' steering and the wheel would center differently at different times. Not enough to feel dangerous, but tiring. Turns out the bolt had loosened and fallen off. New bolt and everything was good.

·
Premium Member
9,947 Posts

Not here. There is no evidence my jeep ever had a track bar on the axles or frame side. Completely cut and ground off.

The sway bar disconnect is a good idea, but the track bar doesn't have any benefits to me so I did not make any effort to retain them.

Reactions: The_Goob
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.