Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all
Been a bit since I've been online. Have been doing a body off restore on an early J truck. Thought I would post here since CJ's used the T18 as well. Looking to see if anyone has heard of this situation before? Freshened up the 1973 T18 when I had it out, new clutch disc, new pressure plate, new release bearing, new pilot bearing, new synchros, new ball and roller bearings, new cover shift rail springs, and new seals and gaskets. Shafts and gears were in good condition. Now that it is installed and I finally have it running, the trans will shift into all gears while the engine is not running. Start it up and idling, I get a swishing or whirling sound while in neutral. Just barely take some pressure off with the clutch pedal and the swishing sound goes away. While idling, I can get it into what I call 1st gear (not the low or "crawl" gear) fairly easy but 2nd and 3rd are tough. Head down the road with any speed, and it will not shift gears. I have checked clutch adjustment and it is fully released. Before I drop this thing back out, which I am dreading, does anyone have any ideas?
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system
Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Gas
Motor vehicle Blue Gas Vehicle Auto part

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could you elaborate? Why do you think that? Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It will go into those gears while the engine is stopped and while it is idling. As those are both unsynchronized, they both tend to be tough to drop in. Usually have to feather the clutch while idling for them to drop. I'll see if I can tell if the pilot is hanging up before removal. Thanks again. Oops! logged in from an old user name.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks hanlondave95.
So that others might learn from my experience, I believe I found the problem. I have a shaft from a previous T-15 trans build that just so happens to be the exact size of the T-18 input shaft pilot tip. I thought I would use this to check the depth of the pilot bushing versus the depth of the pilot tip. When I slid the shaft into the pilot bushing it stopped after about a 1/4" of insertion. Odd, I thought. So I removed the bushing from the bore and that is when I noticed a considerable "step" in the bore near the bottom of the crankshaft. From the picture you can see that this step has been transferred to the bushing reducing the O.D. It seems this step was enough to crush the rear end of the bushing. The outer end I. D.had proper clearance, but when the transmission is installed and the shaft is fully seated, the bushing grips the input hard. With this, the input was not allowed to release for shifting. This still does not explain why when I tried to shift gears there was no grinding and I had no success at double-clutching. Waiting now on a new bushing and transmission gasket set to reassemble. I do not know if the step in the crankshaft bore is supposed to be there or is a result of the lack of full factory machining? Maybe newer bushings are longer than OEM? I will be sure to turn the new bushings O.D. down accordingly at the location, then check the clearance at full depth before assembly. I am going to think positively and report back on my success.

Thank you for your input.
Cosmetics Cylinder Tints and shades Wood Household hardware

1 - 6 of 6 Posts