Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
81 - 86 of 86 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Electrical wiring Gas

I鈥檝e started cutting steel pieces for the shackle hangers on the frame. 3 out of 4 are cut and ready to weld. The final hanger will be the drivers front. Due to possible clearance issues, I鈥檇 like to wait until the power steering bracket is mounted before making the final hanger. These are also 2.5 inches wide by 1.25鈥 ID to accommodate the YJ springs that I鈥檓 going to install.
Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

I more or less copied the early CJ5 style hanger, just in YJ width.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Some more measuring, planning, and fabbing. I finally did the math and figured out the spring and shackle hanger spacing. Got most of the hangers installed, minus the two in the front. For the Old Man Emu YJ springs I鈥檓 placing the hangers 44鈥 on center. This should (theoretically) place the shackles near the center of their total arc when the Jeep is sitting level.
I鈥檝e also decided to push the front axle forward one inch.
Wood Asphalt Road surface Composite material Gas

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Asphalt Road surface Mode of transport

Eye Fish Water Fin Tints and shades

I cut and removed the original crossmembers from the original frame to use as templates for the new ones.
Here is the large crossmember in the works. I left plenty of slack on both sides to make final fitment easy. Since the tub sits directly on this crossmember I think it鈥檚 a good idea to wait until the tub is assembled and mocked into the frame to make the final bends and weld this member in place. I wish I could duplicate the smooth bends of the original, but at least mine will be stronger.
Wood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Machine tool

Motor vehicle Bumper Wood Automotive exterior Gas

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Light Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Auto part

Gas Auto part Metal Soil Machine

I hit a snag with the power steering bracket. I purchased a weldable mount from Throttle Down Kustoms, the same company that makes the frame rails. While mocking up the part I noticed the standoffs were welded to the wrong side of the bracket. It鈥檚 a good thing I didn鈥檛 weld this to the frame already!
I contacted the company about it and sent these pictures. They confirmed that it was incorrect and sent me a new one free of charge, plus some stickers and a koozie!

I highly recommend Throttle Down Kustoms, the customer support is awesome! below is the wrong bracket (right) vs the correct bracket (left) and the note they sent me.

Handwriting Font Gas Sleeve Auto part

81 - 86 of 86 Posts