Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
Willing to receive free donor parts anytime!!
110 Posts
Very cool idea for a side hustle and great pictures.. I may have just found the factory driver's side frame for 90.00 delivered so may not need that but otherwise please do keep me in mind!

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
The previous owner used signposts to support the tub. These supports were tack welded to the underside of the floor pans. Every single one of those tack welds broke. Overall, there were only 3 body mounts still holding the body to the frame. I used a sawzall to remove them.
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Wheel

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
The forensic work continues….
The front of the intermediate frames were boxed. This was done to prevent cracking under the torque of the engine. Something worth noting is how straight the frame is until the boxed part ends. It clearly bent where it was weakest.
Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Wood
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Tread

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
The rear section of the frame suffered the most. The rear axle was completely disconnected on the drivers side, and this seemed to twist the passenger side spring mount to the point of nearly ripping the frame in half.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Plant Wood

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Strong points….
The fuel tank area is surprisingly square. This is probably due to the bumper I built for it. This thing is as straight as the day I installed it!

Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Plant Wheel

Check this out, the difference in engine mounts is fascinating! To the left is a stock rubber mount, and the right is an aftermarket polyurethane mount. The rubber mount ripped clean in half, while the poly mount failed at the steel. The poly mount even bent the frame mount below before letting loose. This impressed me!
Automotive tire Tread Tire Road surface Wood

·
Registered
309 Posts
Do you remember the name of the company that sold galvanized frames? I’d like to prevent future rust as much as possible
The frames were sold thru 4WD Hardware. Powersteering box on a '75?

·
Registered
56 Posts
To the OP. I'm pretty sure I posted frame dimensions of the intermediate CJ5 on EarlyCJ5.com. Look for user name Khamill. I bet "timgr" knows where they are if they still exist.

Reactions: Savemycj

·
Registered
119 Posts
yeah, the intermediate frame is only boxed at the front. but, even if you had a later boxed frame, in your accident, the frame was going to get bent. it really is pretty amazing that you survived that crash, and probably even better that you had no passengers.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
To the OP. I'm pretty sure I posted frame dimensions of the intermediate CJ5 on EarlyCJ5.com. Look for user name Khamill. I bet "timgr" knows where they are if they still exist.
I searched EarlyCJ5.com and think I found your post linking the frame dimensions. The link is no longer active, do you remember where you found that info?

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I’m glad the rear bumper isn’t bent. I worked really hard on this thing, it was my first major fabricating project. I used the Premier Power Welder on the Jeep to make it. You can see the frame tie-in’s I made also.
Wood Gas Automotive exterior Bumper Bicycle part

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
Simply amazing that the bumper survived, and You for that matter.

Nice bumper, you did a good job when you made it, especially the frame tie-in brackets.

When I build a bumper for my CJ-7, I will refer to this picture of your bumper. 1000+ words.

Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Auto part Wood

Wheel Tire Plant Motor vehicle Vehicle

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Simply amazing that the bumper survived, and You for that matter.

Nice bumper, you did a good job when you made it, especially the frame tie-in brackets.

When I build a bumper for my CJ-7, I will refer to this picture of your bumper. 1000+ words.

View attachment 4149776
View attachment 4149777
I appreciate it. I took inspiration from another fabricator here on Jeep Forum who made custom bumpers, Ground Pounder. I’m not sure how he made his tie-ins, but here’s a couple extra pics for reference.

The outer tie-ins are very straightforward.
Tire Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Wood

The inner tie-ins had to fit tightly within the C-channel of the frame in order to clear the fuel tank. This is why they’re a funny shape. Also I tack welded the nuts and bolts back here so I wouldn’t have to fiddle around with a wrench inside the frame rail to remove the bumper.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Wood
Wood Font Rectangle Tints and shades Artifact

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is good info if your Jeep is a 76+ model. OP's Jeep is a 75, Go here Jeep® 1974 TSM online (oljeep.com) Look at page 14-3 for the correct dimensions.
Thank you sooooo much for this 1974 TSM link - and God bless the folks that scan and post this obscure, but needed info, to the Internet. I had to laugh when downloading (for completeness only) the yeah right... heater and a/c sections.

This will eventually inspire me to complete a front shackle reversal kit (installation) on our 1974 CJ5 - that has been sitting in our shop for several years... Here's a photo of our (never rolled) '74 CJ-5 AMC 304 wT-18A granny, roll cage, 3-point harnesses copper metallic (color code 526) on Heart Attack Hill (LCIR) in "the Stupid State" (<-- you know which one) - we escaped many years ago.

Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Water Motor vehicle

Below link, while not a TSM, this is a great info/photo link for 1974 Jeep catalog info/specs I had in my archives...

·
Registered
7 Posts
DoD Windshield Decals...
The fuel tank and drivers seat frame survived fairly well, though I might have to straighten them out slightly. I’ll probably be using them on the next Jeep, we’ll see in a few months. I might have a grab handle and/or toolbox lid. Later down the road I’ll try to get back to you if I have parts I didn’t use.

I almost forgot about that New River sticker. I’m sad the windshield is broken, I’m going to lose that little memento of my time in the Marines. I joined in 2013 and worked at MCAS New River until 2016, later went Embassy Duty and EAS’ed in 2019. During my time at New River I hired a company to ship my Jeep to North Carolina. I had a makeshift garage in a 10’x20’ storage unit at A1 Storage in Jacksonville. It made me a popular guy in the unit, other Marines would stop by for oil changes and stuff 😂. Here’s some throwback pics of the storage unit “garage” circa 2016. In these pics I just rebuilt the engine and transfer case, and swapped in a 4 speed RTS transmission from Herm the Overdrive Guy.
Your DoD windshield decal is a not-so-forgotten momento of years gone by. Shortly after you went off to Embassy Duty in 2018, the USMC, the LAST of the services to discontinue the decales, ceased issuance.

You are not alone - a lot of us vets/retired miss those DoD decals ("DD Form 2220") for nostalgic reasons. They had been around for some thirty years. In post 9/11 years, they identified DoD affiliated as highly visible terrorist targets, so that contributed to their ultimate demise.

The decals were also a de facto identification of the "band of brothers (and now sisters)" and a highly visible "badge of honor" for those who served/had served - until of course the windshield got damaged/replaced, the relentless UV ate up the 3M reflective decal material, or the vehicle was sold and the decal scraped off soe security reasons and relinquished to the base security office.

Our inside-stored '74 CJ-5 still has a pristine MCAS Miramar decal (dating from DoD retired days). Only "older folks" or DoD affiliated, know what the decals are. For non-military forum members - the base name portion was color coded for officer, enlisted, civilian govt employees, contractors, and often had augmenting rank emblems.

The decals were first issued in the 1970's as a base security/vehicle access control measure.

The USAF stopped issuing them in 2008 well after 100% ID gate checks after the 9/11 (2001) attacks. Photo ID checks thereafter, largely obsoleted the decals in the USAF and other services. USAF cited annual printing costs of over $700K in 2005, for only the USAF portion of the DoD decals.

The tradition loyal USMC, continued use of the decals until 2016, thereafter canceling them, citing administrative burdens and manpower shortages.

So as Paul Harvey (1918 - 2009) used to say - now you know "the rest of the story..."

For the curious on the forum, here's a typical (Navy, enlisted) DoD Decal from a random Internet image search:
Vehicle registration plate Font Rectangle Motor vehicle Bumper

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
The salvaging process is nearly complete. And I have a different firewall and front cowl off a similar vintage CJ5 to start the new build with. I had this extra cowl in storage for a long time in anticipation of making a new tub from it. The current tub was in poor shape even before the crash.

I cut out the old firewall reinforcement plate around the master cylinder. This will help me locate holes later on the new tub. And save the vin plate.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Hood Automotive exterior

41 - 60 of 84 Posts