Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
21 - 40 of 120 Posts

·
Premium Member
1984 Jeep CJ-7 Renegade
10,202 Posts
So it begins…the long teardown.

it’s interesting to do some amateur forensic work and see what failed and what didn’t. For example, I’m shocked at well my homemade dual battery box survived. The hold-down is bent slightly, but these batteries didn’t move at all.
After my CJ got hit two years ago, I didn't realize the battery got knocked out of its mount since I was unable to open the hood. It wasn't until I got the Jeep towed home that we got the hood pried open to have a look a day after. Factory mount for the smaller group 55 battery gave out from the impact, it is only held in place at the base.
Dented my passenger inner fender well and dented my pristine condition OEM power brake air cleaner assembly on the side. Was really pissed about the air cleaner but got all the dents out using my PDR (Paintless Dent Repair) kit I have.

·
Registered
1995 ZJ, 1998 ZJ
455 Posts
When I was a kid my dad was a county sheriff deputy. One of the accidents he went to was a CJ roll over with teenagers. One kid was standing in the back holding on to the sports bar. He got thrown from the vehicle and that bar proceeded to roll onto his skull and basically cut it in half. I don’t know how many times I rode in the back of a CJ5 or Toyota Landcruiser that exact same way, but never again after that incident. You were extremely lucky. That or providence was looking out for you. Glad that you are still here.

·
Premium Member
9,468 Posts
The old lady maybe should not be driving. My mother had her licence taken away, and for good reason. People cling on to their driving licence when they no longer have the skills to drive safely and this is sometimes the result, fortunately not a fatality.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
After looking over the pictures more, it’s nice to see your Ax, Jerry Can & Fire Extinguisher stayed attached and in place. You must have done a good job of mounting that stuff.

So, just to be clear, you were held in your seat by the seat belt for the entire ride? That is freaking crazy, after looking at the divots in the grass, seeing how far you rolled & tumbled

I have thought about what would happen if I ever ran off the road like that in my CJ-7. All of the roads in my neck of the woods have huge ditches, between the road and the farm fields. Seeing your Jeep tells me what I always suspected…it could get ugly.

I am truly amazed that you walked away from that accident.
I stayed in the drivers seat the entire time. This Jeep had a removable passenger seat, which was thrown from the vehicle. An eyewitness said when the passenger seat went flying they thought it was a person being ejected. He approached the crash and began searching and was surprised to see me still behind the wheel. I got out without assistance and felt fine for a couple minutes, but after the adrenaline wore off I began to feel it.

Things can go bad very quickly. It’s terrible to hear about that teen who got his skull crushed. I’ve had people stand up in my Jeep like that before also. Even if you’re the safest driver on Earth, you’re only half the equation.

also I’m really happy about the mounting job of all my gear, I didn’t lose anything off the sides!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Happy you are alive and walked away from it. I have seen these where the drivers were not so lucky. Smears on the highway and guardrails are hard to forget, especially when they are your friends.

new start?

get a hold of don
SWxOR (SouthWestOffRoad.com) | eBay Stores I'll do what I can to get you a new start. Been there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wow. Wow. Wow those 50 MPH crash photos! Soooo glad you replaced those seat belts!!! We'll respectfully relinquish "The Death Machine" nickname to you...

Certainly the CJ-5's have a propensity for (spectacular!) crashes owing to their high CG and ultra-short wheelbase. We love classic CJ-5's and their but if you're going to rebuild, and like the classic look, consider a later model CJ-7 with box frame, wider leaf springs, and better positioned shocks. Might be a bit safer too (<-- safer CJ - Yeah - Right!).

We alternately referred to our Copper Metallic CJ as "The Death Machine" and "The Farm Tractor." We never drive it at more then 50 MPH on the highway due to its loosey-goosey suspension. Our Jeep Club always stopped and watched the CJ-5's on obstacles expecting short wheelbase rollovers (thanks (not) guys and gals). They also hated the running rich carb smell on high altitude trails (thanks again, guys and gals).

Our "classic" CJ-5 is lifted, soft sprung (great on obsticles, BAD on pavement), Line-X sprayed tub, 74 CJ-5 AMC304, T-18A, Detroit locker, full cage, 3-point harnesses, WARN rear hubs for occasional flat towing (<-- don't recommend). Bads are: c-channel frame, narrow springs, inset OEM position but upgraded shocks, ultra-short short wheelbase. Hence the late year CJ7 suggestion... Again so glad you only broke a collar bone - AMAZING!!!

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
And with "crab steer" feature too!

I wonder......possible to get it moving on its own power again, just for grins like it is?

I didn't know they used the Chrysler "Slant 6" in the CJ. Is this an export version. :D

·
Registered
316 Posts
Maybe buy a new Frame. I know that back in the '90s, they sold robust frames. Galvanized. And fiberglass body, go from there.

Reactions: Savemycj

·
Registered
1995 ZJ, 1998 ZJ
455 Posts
Reactions: Savemycj

·
Registered
Willing to receive free donor parts anytime!!
118 Posts
Wow.. you obviously have a guardian angel assigned to you or maybe one was hitching a ride. Congratulations on making out alive.
I have a 1975 CJ5 if you really want to start over!.. some days I could easily be persuaded to part with it! lol
Your driver's seat frame /bracket the original? If so would you want to part with it? And I do need the dash mounted grab handle, tool box lid and to replace my fuel tank and sending unit... just asking ;)

I just notice the MCAS New River base sticker but Indiana license plate.. thank you(?) for your service. I'd been to New River many times during my 20 years in the Navy and my father is a retired Master Gunnery Sargent that still lives in the Jacksonville area.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Wow.. you obviously have a guardian angel assigned to you or maybe one was hitching a ride. Congratulations on making out alive.
I have a 1975 CJ5 if you really want to start over!.. some days I could easily be persuaded to part with it! lol
Your driver's seat frame /bracket the original? If so would you want to part with it? And I do need the dash mounted grab handle, tool box lid and to replace my fuel tank and sending unit... just asking ;)

I just notice the MCAS New River base sticker but Indiana license plate.. thank you(?) for your service. I'd been to New River many times during my 20 years in the Navy and my father is a retired Master Gunnery Sargent that still lives in the Jacksonville area.
The fuel tank and drivers seat frame survived fairly well, though I might have to straighten them out slightly. I’ll probably be using them on the next Jeep, we’ll see in a few months. I might have a grab handle and/or toolbox lid. Later down the road I’ll try to get back to you if I have parts I didn’t use.

I almost forgot about that New River sticker. I’m sad the windshield is broken, I’m going to lose that little memento of my time in the Marines. I joined in 2013 and worked at MCAS New River until 2016, later went Embassy Duty and EAS’ed in 2019. During my time at New River I hired a company to ship my Jeep to North Carolina. I had a makeshift garage in a 10’x20’ storage unit at A1 Storage in Jacksonville. It made me a popular guy in the unit, other Marines would stop by for oil changes and stuff 😂. Here’s some throwback pics of the storage unit “garage” circa 2016. In these pics I just rebuilt the engine and transfer case, and swapped in a 4 speed RTS transmission from Herm the Overdrive Guy.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

21 - 40 of 120 Posts