Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all, it’s been a while since I posted anything here and I’ve returned with bad news. My Jeep was destroyed in a rollover accident. I got out relatively unscathed. In fact, I’m incredibly lucky to be alive right now. Here’s a link with more details:

Honestly guys, I’m heartbroken. This old Jeep meant a lot to me. When I first got it, it barely ran. It had no brakes, the electrical system was a birds nest. My friends in high school nicknamed it “The Death Machine”. I spent years turning wrenches on it, and after over a decade of consistent improvement I had a damn good CJ5! The whole drivetrain was rebuilt in 2016. The whole thing was rewired, it had a nice suspension lift with 33” BFGs. I have a Warn 8274 winch on the front, a York engine-driven air compressor, and a Premier Power Welder. I’ve taken this Jeep down muddy roads in Indiana, the foothills of Tennessee, cold creek beds in Kentucky, the Ozarks of Missouri, the beaches of North Carolina, and other places all across the Midwest. This thing has taken me on the wildest adventures I’ve ever been on, to places I’ve never seen before. When a buddy was stuck in the middle of nowhere, they called on my Jeep to extract them. I LOVED this Jeep!

Right now it’s sitting in my carport waiting for the insurance adjuster to inspect. My plan from here is to salvage whatever usable parts survived, and rebuild another “new” 1975 CJ5. I just hope I can get enough money to return it to its former glory.

I suppose we need to start with a frame…
I have to tools and knowledge to build my own frame. I’d like to make a custom frame out of rectangular tube. I think this will help solve the flex problems of the CJ frames. Does anybody here have dimensions for an intermediate CJ5 frame? The current frame is buckled so badly I cannot pull any reliable measurements from it.
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Plant

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Car

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
Phewee, Jeepers!!!!

That was one bad rollover. 50mph you say. Glad you got out of it in one piece. That sports bar has held up pretty well, your new shoulder belts were a wise investment.

There will be very few parts on there worth saving, nearly everything has been twisted or smashed. I suggest buying a reasonably good early CJ5 and forget about making a chassis. That is a lot of work and they can be bought anyways.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think that's more than a rollover. Glad you came out of it (OK)?
I don’t personally remember how it rolled, but I remember it was horrifying. An eyewitness said the Jeep went end over end, looking at the way the hood is pushed up to the windshield I can believe it. I was doing about 50 mph when it left the highway. The seatbelt broke my collarbone in multiple places, I had a surgery last week to repair it. I consider myself extremely lucky, a broken collar bone is very mild compared to what could have happened. I’ll never take seatbelts for granted again.

·
Super Moderator
23,695 Posts
Thats so scary, glad you are ok man.

Not gonna lie, that thing looks like a piece of art how it sits. Should be in a museum or something as is lol.

I would pick yourself up another 75, and make a clone. Maybe call it the 'life machine' :D

kov

Yeah, gad your OK. I've been in two jeep accidents myself with both similar results.

but a kovic point mentioned. First thing I thought of when I saw your jeep back home was that it would not look bad sitting in an art museum gallery someplace.
I was going to google a picture but I didn't realize how popular metal art sculptures are these days.
Outerwear Automotive design Automotive tire Fashion Textile

·
Premium Member
1984 Jeep CJ-7 Renegade
9,960 Posts
Jeeez, did that roll off the Grand Canyon? One of the worst I've seen and you are LUCKY to survive. Seat belts do work, even though I am not an advocate of them, but when it comes to the Jeep CJ, it's on even before we put the key in the ignition.
I even thought before reading what kovic said, "looks like a piece of art"as it does.

I wouldn't even attempt to save anything from that Jeep except maybe the grill to hang on the wall as a reminder that chit happens. Might be bits and pieces that are rare that you could save for another Jeep or forum member, but for the most part, get another Jeep and put that nice Warn winch on it.

Reactions: 1978CJ7Jeep

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
Wow, congrats on surviving that crash.

I had a kid driving an Explorer pull out in front of me in my 1998 TA when I was going about 60-65 back in 2007. It was the hardest impact I have ever experienced.

It nearly killed my youngest kid, Nick. Seatbelt tore his abdomen and required life saving surgery. I fractured my collar bone & suffered a torn PCL.

Seat belts work, but the do some damage as well. I think the airbags helped the most.

I’d be parting that Jeep, and looking for a replacement. Not much still usable on it now, other than small parts.

That’s what I did with my TA, after I bought it back from the insurance company. I got some good parts off of it. I still have the LS1 & 460LE, wheels & tires.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Car Wheel Land vehicle Tire Vehicle

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A friend of mine owns a local scrapyard. He has a hilltop overlooking a highway where he puts interesting looking vehicles. He wants to put the frame and body up there with a “buckle up” sign. I know there’s not much here that can be saved, but I’m going to pull drivetrain out just to see if there’s internal damage. Everything from the engine to the transfer case only had about 9000 miles on the rebuild. And all the small, expensive, or hard to find parts that I know are ok. Like the Warn hubs, seat brackets, fuel tank, gauges, steering column, etc.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, congrats on surviving that crash.

I had a kid driving an Explorer pull out in front of me in my 1998 TA when I was going about 60-65 back in 2007. It was the hardest impact I have ever experienced.

It nearly killed my youngest kid, Nick. Seatbelt tore his abdomen and required life saving surgery. I broke my shoulder & suffered a torn PCL.

Seat belts work, but the do some damage as well. I think the airbags helped the most.

I’d be parting that Jeep, and looking for a replacement. Not much still usable on it now, other than small parts.

That’s what I did with my TA, after I bought it back from the insurance company. I got some good parts off of it. I still have the LS1 & 460LE, wheels & tires.

View attachment 4149380
View attachment 4149381
That’s terrible, I’m glad you and your son survived! Going 0-60 fast is fun but 60-0 is kinda rough.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
This is unreal. It's definitely a miracle that you survived this. If you had shown me these pictures and mentioned end over end crash, I would have guessed there would be no survivors. Thank God you installed those new seatbelts, otherwise I am sure you would have been ejected. I wonder what caused you to leave the roadway in the first place?!
I'm really sorry about your beloved Jeep. I agree with starting over with a different CJ - there doesn't seem to be much on here that is salvagable. The Winch would probably be a nice token of your old friend to install in a different CJ.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@robblue80
I was driving home from work and a little old lady tried to cross the highway in a white Buick. She had a stop sign, and she came to a full stop, but at the last second she accelerated through the intersection right in front of me. I swerved to avoid a complete t-bone, but the front of her car impacted my drivers side rocker panel as I passed by. This is what sent me off the road (and I think this is when the drivers rear wheel broke away). You can see how little damage her car took. The Jeep kinda glanced across the front of it. Here’s some pics of the scene.

The lady was 89 years old, and I know she didn’t mean it. She probably couldn’t see me coming. I’m very glad I swerved, a direct t-bone probably would have killed her (and maybe me). She was ok. As the ambulance was loading me up, the EMS crew told me she got out of her car with a walker 😂
Wheel Vehicle Tree Automotive tire Sky

Tire Wheel Plant Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Plant Wheel Sky Vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
10,515 Posts
Damn! Glad you are ok, agree with others...

Grab some bits off the wrecked to affix to your new jeep (if so inclined)... but there's no going back on that one, sadly...

Hoss

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Wow... so glad you survived!

You are unable to drive it again, but.......got a big tree in your yard?

Pull out the heavy bits, and body/frame hang it up and use it as a tree swing :)

• Haha
Reactions: Savemycj

·
Registered
1995 ZJ, 1997 ZJ, 1998 ZJ
156 Posts
I'm glad that you are "okay". Two things I find amazing.
1. You survived.
2. That sports bar held up and stayed on the tub. I wouldn't re-use it, but it still look straight. With the way the rest of the Jeep looks, I would have expected it to either be bent or completely torn off.

I'd strip it for all of the usable pieces (tailgate and windshield hinges, seat brackets, wiper motor, mechanisms and cover, etc...). Anything from that vintage and was still usable I would save.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm glad that you are "okay". Two things I find amazing.
1. You survived.
2. That sports bar held up and stayed on the tub. I wouldn't re-use it, but it still look straight. With the way the rest of the Jeep looks, I would have expected it to either be bent or completely torn off.

I'd strip it for all of the usable pieces (tailgate and windshield hinges, seat brackets, wiper motor, mechanisms and cover, etc...). Anything from that vintage and was still usable I would save.
I’m equally surprised at the performance of the sports bar. Something that the previous owner did was weld 1/8” steel plate to the top of each wheelhouse and then bolted the sports bar to that. The PO did some other sketchy work, but that particular modification seemed like it held up perfectly.

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
After looking over the pictures more, it’s nice to see your Ax, Jerry Can & Fire Extinguisher stayed attached and in place. You must have done a good job of mounting that stuff.

So, just to be clear, you were held in your seat by the seat belt for the entire ride? That is freaking crazy, after looking at the divots in the grass, seeing how far you rolled & tumbled

I have thought about what would happen if I ever ran off the road like that in my CJ-7. All of the roads in my neck of the woods have huge ditches, between the road and the farm fields. Seeing your Jeep tells me what I always suspected…it could get ugly.

I am truly amazed that you walked away from that accident.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts